Wondering how to stop Windows 10 apps from launching at startup?
One of the most controversial features of Windows is the automatic launch of apps and programs as soon as you log into the operating system. You could experience slowdowns in your PC’s performance, and if the apps you don’t want to run are being launched, shutting them all is just going to waste your time.
Luckily, you can fight Windows back on this.
In this guide, we will walk you through the methods of stopping Windows 10 apps from launching at startup.
Let’s get started.
1. Modify Windows Settings.
Windows Settings is a component of Windows that allows the users to customize and configure the settings of their operating system.
If you want to stop Windows 10 apps from launching at startup, the easiest way to do so is via Windows settings. All that you need to do is turn the toggle associated with this feature off.
Here is how you can do that:
- Launch Windows Settings and click on Accounts from the list of options available.
- Select Sign-in options from the left panel.
- In the right pane, locate the Restart apps option and turn the toggle off under it.
As simple as that.
In Windows 10, this should successfully enable or disable the automatic restart of apps upon sign-in.
2. Try Using CleanMyPC.
If the steps in this guide do not work for you, your computer may be infected with corruption errors that prevent certain functions from working. Fortunately, we have just the right solution for this scenario, so do not worry.
A good idea is to use CleanMyPC, as it scans your computer for issues, identifies them, and attempts to resolve them.
CleanMyPC fixes not only this but also all other PC issues, such as sluggish performance and slow boot times, thanks to its wide range of system maintenance tools.
All that you need to do is install CleanMyPC and run a scan using it. It will take care of the rest!
3. Configure Windows Registry.
If modifying Windows Settings did not work for you due to any reason, then the next thing you should try doing is configuring Windows Registry.
Windows Registry is a database of low-level settings for Windows applications and programs. It lets the programs access computer resources and offers a location where you can store your custom settings for the operating system.
In the Windows Registry, information about programs and processes is stored as Registry keys, and through modification of the relevant keys, you can customize your operating system.
Seems a bit technical? It really is not.
Follow the steps mentioned below to stop Windows 10 apps from launching at startup:
- Press Windows + R keys simultaneously on your keyboard to launch a Run dialogue box.
- In the text field of the dialogue box, type ‘regedit‘ and hit Enter. This will launch Windows Registry on your computer.
- Once you are inside the Registry Editor, navigate to the location mentioned below.
- Now right-click anywhere in the right pane and select the New > 32-Bit DWORD Value option.
- Rename this value as RestartApps and double-click on it.
- If you want to allow the apps to restart after you sign in, type 1 under Value data and hit Enter. In case you want to prevent the apps from restarting, type 0 under Value data and hit Enter.
Hopefully, this will allow you to perform the intended function without any issues.
This brings us to the end of our guide on stopping Windows 10 apps from launching at startup. We hope that one of the methods mentioned in this guide did the trick for you. If you have any questions, feel free to let us know in the comment section below.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂