Are you wondering why subtitles and closed captions are not working on HBO Max?
Subtitles and captions are essential for any streaming platform, especially if it offers international shows that don’t use the English language. Subtitles also help you understand certain lines from movies or TV shows where characters need to speak quietly.
This also helps people with hearing problems to understand what they are watching.
Unfortunately, there have been reports from HBO Max users who experience difficulties getting subtitles and closed captions to work on their devices.
Corrupted installation files are the usual cause of this issue on HBO Max. However, it is also possible that HBO’s servers are currently down or your network is running slow, making it difficult for your device to load the subtitles.
Whatever the case is, we are here to help.
In this guide, we will show you how to fix subtitles and closed captions if they are not working on HBO Max.
Let’s jump right in!
1. Check HBO Max’s Servers.
Before making any changes to your device, the first thing that you should do is check if the problem is on your side or HBO Max’s end. You can do this by going to Downdetector, where you can view the current status of HBO Max’s servers.
If their servers are down, the best thing to do now is to wait for HBO’s team to address the issue.
On the other hand, you can still do the rest of the methods below and hope that one of them works out.
2. Check and Reset Your Internet.
As we’ve mentioned above, a slow or unstable internet connection is usually the cause of this problem on HBO Max. To confirm this, run a speed test on your network using Fast.com to measure its current upload and download bandwidth.
If the result shows that your internet connection is the culprit, restart your network router to re-establish the link with your ISP’s servers. Unplug your router’s power cable from the outlet and wait for a few seconds before reconnecting it.
Perform another test on your network after restarting your router to check if the problem is solved. If not, get in touch with your ISP to report the problem with their service.
On the other hand, consider upgrading your current plan if it is below the 5 Mbps required bandwidth of HBO Max.
3. Turn Off VPN.
Virtual private networks or VPNs are third-party services that protect your network when you browse online. They work by randomly changing your IP address and filtering the data going out of your device.
Unfortunately, some VPNs don’t work that well and could cause instability on your network when enabled.
To fix this, turn off your VPN first before accessing the HBO Max app.
You can also try using other services like PureVPN if you use VPNs to access HBO Max outside its service area. Unlike other VPNs, PureVPN keeps your network fast and reliable while protecting your online data.
4. Clear Your Browser Cache and Cookies.
Caches and cookies contain temporary data from the websites you visited, which helps your browser load sites and their contents faster. However, temporary browsing data could accumulate over time and become corrupted.
If subtitles and closed captions are not working on HBO Max, try clearing your browsing data to eliminate corrupted files.
Follow the steps below to clear your browsing data:
- First, open your preferred browser and click on More Options.
- After that, click on Settings and navigate to Privacy and Security.
- Now, select Clear Browsing Data.
- Include ‘Cached Images and Files’ and ‘Cookies and Other Site Data’ in the process and change the Time Range to All Time.
- Finally, click the Clear Data button to start.
After clearing your browsing data, go back to HBO Max to check if subtitles and closed captions are now working.
5. Disable Your Browser Extensions.
HBO Max may not be compatible with the browser extensions installed on your device, which caused features like subtitles and closed captions not to work.
To fix this, turn off your browser extensions before using HBO Max:
- Open your preferred browser and access its Settings tab.
- After that, click on Extensions to manage your browser extensions.
- Finally, disable all your browser extensions and add ons.
Restart your web browser afterward and check if subtitles and closed captions are now working on HBO Max.
6. Run Malwarebytes.
Your device may be suffering from a malware or virus attack that causes applications and programs to malfunction. To confirm this, download Malwarebytes on your device and use the ‘Full System Scan’ feature to search your entire directory for infected files.
Malwarebytes will automatically attempt to clean any infected files on your storage or remove them if it is no longer fixable.
7. Clear HBO Max App Data (Android).
HBO Max’s app data may have gotten corrupted due to failed updates or when the servers went down unexpectedly. Whatever the case is, you can try clearing its app data on your Android device to eliminate corrupted files.
Follow the guide below to clear app data on your Android device:
- First, open the Settings of your device and go to the Apps tab.
- After that, tap on HBO Max from the list and access its Storage tab.
- Lastly, tap the Clear Data button to start the process.
Once done, go back to the HBO Max app to check if the problem is solved.
8. Update the HBO Max App.
The version of HBO Max installed on your device may have an underlying issue related to closed captions and subtitles. However, HBO may already be aware of this and could roll out an update anytime to fix the problem.
On Android, follow the steps below to check if there are available updates for the HBO Max app:
- On your app drawer, open the Google Play Store and tap on your Profile.
- After that, tap on My Apps & Games and find the HBO Max app from the list.
- Finally, tap the Update button next to the app to install the update.
For iOS users, see the guide below to check if there’s an available update for HBO Max:
- First, open the App Store on your iOS device.
- Now, tap on your Profile icon to view the applications with available updates.
- Lastly, locate HBO Max from the list and tap the Update button to install its latest version.
If you are using other devices, please visit the Help Center to find out how you can update HBO Max.
9. Update Your Device.
If you’ve installed the update for HBO Max, but subtitles and closed captions are still not working, your device’s operating system might need some update too.
On Android, you can update your OS by doing the steps below:
- First, open the Settings app on your device and scroll down until you see the About or About Phone tab.
- After that, tap on Software Update.
- If there’s an update available, hit the Download and Install button to start updating your device.
For iOS users, check out the guide below to update your device:
- On your home screen, tap on the Settings app and access the General tab.
- Now, tap on Software Updates and wait for your device to check if there are available updates.
- Finally, tap on Download and Install to start the process.
If you are using a Smart TV, Consoles, or Set-top boxes, please visit the Help Center and look for the specific instructions to update your device’s software.
10. Reinstall HBO Max.
If the update did not work, HBO Max’s installation files could be severely corrupted and are no longer fixable. In this case, we suggest reinstalling HBO Max on your device to ensure that you have a working copy.
On Android, you can reinstall HBO Max by doing the steps below:
- On your app drawer, locate the HBO Max app and press its app icon until the options menu shows up.
- After that, tap on Uninstall to delete the app from your device.
- Finally, access the Google Play Store on your device and reinstall HBO Max from there.
For iOS users, follow the steps below to reinstall HBO Max:
- First, open your iOS device and search for the HBO Max app on your home screen.
- Next, press and hold its app icon until the selection screen appears.
- After that, tap on Remove App to uninstall HBO Max.
- Lastly, open the App Store on your device and reinstall the app from there.
Visit the Help Center if you are using a different device and look for the specific instructions to reinstall HBO Max on your system.
Log back into your HBO Max account afterward and check if the problem is solved.
11. Report the Problem to HBO Max.
If subtitles and closed captions are still not working on HBO Max, we suggest that you let the professionals take over the situation.
Visit the Help Center and contact their customer support to report the problem with their platform. Make sure to provide your account details, the device you are using, and the show you are trying to watch to make it easier for HBO to address the problem.
This ends our guide for fixing subtitles and closed captions if they are not working on HBO Max. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below, and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂