Wondering why text to speech is not working on Discord?
Discord is a voice-over internet protocol app used for chatting and is available on a wide variety of platforms. Depending on the operating system you’re using, some features on Discord may not be available.
One feature that is exclusive for Windows is the text-to-speech service. Discord TTS is a feature used to play messages in text channels. Basically, the app reads the letter for you, and you simply have to listen.
Discord TTS can also be customized based on your preference and change the voice reading your messages.
Unfortunately, text to speech is not working all the time on Discord. Recently, many users have reported issues about Discord TTS not working on their computers.
This issue on Discord is very common and is usually caused by server-related issues. However, it can also be due to corrupted installation files, improper device configurations, or corrupted device drivers.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to fix text to speech if it’s not working on Discord.
1. Check Discord Servers.
When you encounter issues on Discord, the first thing we always suggest is checking the platform’s status. Being an online service, Discord relies on its servers to deliver content and features to the end-user.
If the servers are down, expect the platform to run into errors.
You can confirm this by visiting Discord’s status page, where you can view the current situation of its servers.
Unfortunately, server-related issues can’t be addressed on your end. If Discord is down, the best thing to do is wait.
On the other hand, proceed to the next solution below if Discord’s servers are working.
2. Check Discord Settings.
One of the most common reasons text to speech is not working on Discord is if the feature is not enabled on your settings.
Follow the steps below to check your text to speech settings on Discord:
- On your device, launch Discord and access the Settings.
- After that, go to the Accessibility tab.
- Finally, scroll down to the Text to Speech section and ensure that ‘Allow Playback and Usage of /TTS Command’ is enabled.
Go back to your channel afterward and check if the feature is now working.
3. Enable Text to Speech for All Channels.
Another reason text to speech is not working on Discord is improper configurations. Before you can enjoy the /TTS command on Discord, you’ll have to enable the feature on all the channels on your profile.
Here’s what you need to do:
- First, open Discord and go to the Settings.
- Next, click on the Notifications tab.
- Lastly, choose the ‘For All Channels’ option under the Text to Speech Notifications settings.
Restart the Discord app and check if the text to speech is working.
4. Update Your Sound Drivers.
For TTS to work, it needs access to your speakers. Due to this, you have to ensure that your current audio device is working correctly.
To do this, follow the guide below to update your audio drivers:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + X keys to open the Quick Menu.
- Now, open the Device Manager and expand the Audio Inputs and Outputs tab.
- Finally, right-click on your audio device and choose Update Driver.
Once done, restart your computer and use text to speech on Discord to check if the problem is solved.
5. Update Windows.
Your system may have an underlying issue that causes the text to speech feature on Discord to malfunction. It’s also possible that the current version of Windows you’re using is not compatible with the app.
To fix this, follow the steps below to update Windows:
- Press the Windows + I keys on your keyboard to access Windows Settings.
- After that, go to Update & Security and click on Windows Update.
- Finally, press the Check for Update button and follow the prompts to continue.
Go back to Discord after the update and check if the problem is solved.
6. Change Your Audio to Stereo.
If you use a 5.1 or 7.1 channel speaker configuration, text to speech on Discord will not function. Unfortunately, this has been a known bug in the Discord community, and it’s still not fixed up to this point.
To use text to speech on Discord, follow the steps below to change your speaker configuration to stereo:
- First, go to the Start Menu and look for ‘Change System Sounds’.
- Now, open it and go to the Playback tab.
- Right-click on your audio device and choose Configure Speakers.
- Lastly, choose the Stereo option and follow the prompts to confirm the changes.
Once done, restart the Discord app and check if text to speech is working.
7. Reinstall Discord.
If text to speech is still not working on Discord, we recommend reinstalling the app on your computer. Some of your installation files may have gotten severely corrupted and are no longer fixable.
Follow the steps below to delete Discord on your PC:
- On your computer, open the Control Panel.
- Now, click on Uninstall a Program and locate Discord.
- Finally, right-click on the app and select Uninstall. Follow the prompts afterward to completely remove Discord from your system.
Once done, go to Discord’s website and download the latest installer for your system.
That wraps up our guide for fixing text to speech if it’s not working on Discord. For your questions and other concerns, please leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to help.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂