Are TikTok notifications not working on your device?
Notifications are one of the most crucial features of any social media platform. This keeps you updated on what’s going on with the app, even if you’re currently not using it.
Most social media platforms allow users to customize how notifications get delivered on their devices. You could opt to receive notifications from your favorite pages if they upload new content, get notified when a user likes your post and more.
Recently, users have been complaining about TikTok notifications not working on their devices.
Usually, this issue is caused by improper notification settings on your device. However, it can also be due to slow internet connections, outdated versions of the app, and corrupted data.
Today, we’ve decided to make a guide for fixing TikTok notifications if it’s not working on your device.
Let’s get started!
1. Check TikTok’s Servers.
When you encounter issues on TikTok, the first thing you should do is check the status of its servers. This way, you can identify if the problem is coming from your end or TikTok’s side.
You can use third-party tools such as Downdetector to view the current status of TikTok.
If the platform is currently down, you can’t do anything but wait for TikTok’s team to address the issue. On the other hand, you proceed to the following method below to troubleshoot the problem on your end if there’s nothing wrong with TikTok.
2. Re-Login to Your Account.
Your user data may have run into temporary errors during use, which causes some features on TikTok, like the notifications, not to work. To fix this, re-login to your TikTok account to refresh your account data.
See the steps below to log out of your TikTok account:
- First, open the TikTok app on your device.
- After that, go to your Profile and tap on the Options button in the upper-right corner of your display.
- Lastly, scroll down to the bottom and tap Log Out.
Wait for 2-3 minutes before logging back into your account to reset your data. Once done, observe if you’re now getting notifications from TikTok on your device.
3. Restart Your Device.
A temporary bug or glitch may have occurred on your device, causing push notifications not to work. To fix this, restart your device to reload its resources and eliminate any errors in the process.
For iOS users, follow the guide below to reboot your system:
- On your device, access the Assistive Touch and open the Device tab.
- Next, tap on More.
- Finally, choose the Restart option to reboot your device.
If you are using an Android device, here’s how you can reboot its system:
- First, locate the Power button on your device.
- After that, hold down the Power button until the options screen shows up.
- Lastly, tap the Restart option.
After restarting your device, observe if you’re now getting notifications from TikTok.
4. Check Your Notification Settings.
Another reason why TikTok notifications are not working is if your settings on the app are not set properly. TikTok provides users with a handful of options on how they want to receive notifications on their devices.
You can access this option by doing the following:
- On your device, launch TikTok and access your Profile.
- After that, go to Options and tap on Push Notifications.
- Finally, enable the notifications that you want to receive when you’re not using the application.
Once done, ask your friends to like your post or send you a message to check if TikTok notifications are now working.
5. Update TikTok.
TikTok releases timely updates on its platform to ensure that bugs and glitches get patched. If notifications are not working on your device, you’re probably using a version of TikTok with an underlying issue related to push notifications.
To fix this, update TikTok to the latest version possible to fix bugs and errors.
On iOS devices, here’s how you can update TikTok:
- Go to your home screen and tap on the App Store to launch it.
- After that, go to your Profile and locate TikTok from the list of apps with available updates.
- Finally, hit the Update button beside TikTok to install the update.
For Android users, follow the guide below to update TikTok:
- First, launch the Google Play Store on your device.
- Now, tap on your Profile and go to Manage Apps & Device.
- Tap on Updates Available afterward and locate TikTok from the list.
- Lastly, hit the Update button next to TikTok to install the app’s latest version.
Ask your friends to send you a message or like your posts on TikTok to check if you’ll receive a notification.
6. Enable Background Data Usage.
If you only receive notifications on TikTok when the app is open, background data usage may be disabled for the app. This feature on iOS and Android devices restricts applications from consuming data when closed to save bandwidth and battery life.
However, this also ruins push notifications of applications. If you need to receive frequent notifications from TikTok, we recommend enabling background data usage for the app.
For iOS devices, see the steps below to enable background usage for TikTok:
- On your device, go to the Settings and access the General tab.
- Next, tap on Background App Refresh.
- Finally, look for TikTok and enable the feature.
If you are using an Android device, here’s how you can enable background usage:
- First, go to the Settings of your device.
- After that, open the Apps tab and tap on TikTok.
- Now, go to the Mobile Data & Wi-Fi tab.
- Lastly, enable the Background Data and Unrestricted Data Usage option.
Once done, observe if TikTok push notifications are now working on your device.
7. Clear TikTok’s Cache.
Another reason why TikTok notifications are not working on your device is corrupted caches and data. These are temporary data stored on your device, which TikTok uses to improve its performance.
However, caches and other temporary data can accumulate over time and become corrupted. To fix this, clear TikTok’s cache to eliminate corrupted files from your system.
Follow the steps below to clear TikTok’s cache on your device:
- Launch the TikTok app on your device.
- Next, go to your Profile and tap the Options button in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- After that, find the Caches & Cellular Data tab and tap on Free Up Space.
- Finally, hit the Clear button next to the Cache tab to start the process.
After clearing your app cache, observe if TikTok push notifications are now working.
8. Reinstall TikTok.
If TikTok notifications are still not working on your device, we suggest reinstalling the app on your device. Some of TikTok’s installation files may have gotten corrupted, causing some features not to work.
See the steps below to reinstall TikTok:
- Look for the TikTok app on your home screen.
- After that, press and hold its app icon until the selection menu appears.
- Finally, tap Remove App (iOS) or Uninstall (Android) to delete TikTok.
Go to the Play Store or App Store afterward and reinstall TikTok from there.
9. Ask TikTok for Assistance.
At this point, we suggest that you let the professionals take over the situation.
Go to TikTok’s Help Center and contact their customer support to report the issue you’ve been experiencing on the app. You can also browse the other guides on the help center and see if anything works out for you.
We hope that this guide helped you solve the issue with TikTok notifications not working on your device. If you need to clarify something, please leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to respond as soon as possible.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂