Are your Twitter notifications not working?
It is nice to receive updates on your social media account even if you are not using it. This way, you won’t be left out with the latest trends and happenings around the world. Besides, it is essential to receive notifications whenever you receive a direct message.
Unfortunately, it can be a problem if your Twitter notifications are not working, especially if you rely on it for your day to day tasks.
Usually, improper settings on your device are the main reason for this problem, but other factors like unstable network connection, third-party applications, and faulty servers should also be considered.
Since there are many things to consider, we’ve decided to make a simple guide to fix Twitter notifications not working on your device.
To get started, check Twitter’s server’s status first, as the problem could be with their servers being down at the moment.
However, if Twitter’s servers are working fine, the problem could be on your device. Head down below and try the listed methods.
- 1. Check Twitter’s Notification Settings.
- 2. Turn Off Do Not Disturb or Silent Mode.
- 3. Check Your Device Notification Settings.
- 4. Check for Updates.
- 5. Clear Your Media and Web Storage (iOS Only).
- 6. Check and Reset Your Internet Connection.
- 7. Try Using Fiverr.
- 8. Report the Problem to Twitter.
1. Check Twitter’s Notification Settings.
The first thing that you should check on your end is Twitter’s notification. You may have changed some of your settings, which causes notifications not to push through.
On Android, you can check Twitter’s notification by doing the following:
- First, open Twitter from your home screen and access its side drawer.
- After that, tap on Settings and Privacy to open it.
- Now, tap on Notifications and open Push Notifications.
- Finally, make sure that the Push Notifications switch on the top right corner of your display is turned on.
If you are not receiving a specific notification, make sure to turn on individual notifications based on your preference.
For iOS devices, you can enable Twitter’s notifications by following the steps below.
- On your home screen, open Twitter and access the side menu.
- After that, tap on Settings and Privacy.
- Now, open the Notifications tab and tap on Push Notifications.
- Finally, make sure that notifications are enabled on your account.
You can also turn on or off individual notifications depending on your preference.
2. Turn Off Do Not Disturb or Silent Mode.
Today, most devices have a silent mode or a ‘Do Not Disturb’ feature that lets you turn off any notifications. This is helpful if you are in a meeting, watching a movie, or trying to catch a sound sleep without disturbance.
On Android, follow the steps below to turn off do not disturb and silent mode.
- First, swipe downwards from the top of your screen to access the Quick Access Menu.
- After that, locate the Do Not Disturb shortcut key and make sure that it is turned off.
- Finally, hold down the Volume Up button of your device to ensure that Silent Mode is disabled.
If you are using an iOS device, check out the steps below to guide you on the process.
- On your device, access the Control Center and find the Do Not Disturb button, which has a crescent moon logo.
- After that, tap on Do Not Disturb and make sure that it is turned off.
- Lastly, toggle the dedicated ringer switch on your iOS device to turn off Silent Mode.
After turning off Do Not Disturb and Silent Mode, ask one of your friends to send you a direct message or mention you on their tweet to check if you will receive a notification.
3. Check Your Device Notification Settings.
If you’re still having issues with Twitter notifications not working, try to visit your device’s notification settings. The Twitter app may not have the proper permissions to send push notifications on your system.
On Android, check out the guide below to enable notifications for the Twitter app.
- First, open the Settings app from your home screen.
- Now, tap on Notifications inside your device’s settings.
- After that, find Twitter from the list of apps.
- Finally, tap on the toggle switch beside Twitter to turn on its notifications.
If you use an iOS device, see the steps below to allow Twitter to send push notifications.
- On your home screen, tap on Settings to open it.
- After that, tap on Notifications.
- Now, scroll down and tap on Twitter.
- Finally, make sure that notifications are turned on for the app.
Once done, ask your friends to mention you on their tweet or send you a direct message to see if you would receive notifications about it.
4. Check for Updates.
The version of Twitter you are using could have an underlying issue with push notifications. To fix this, try to update the app as its developers could’ve released a patch to address the issue.
On Android, you can update Twitter by doing the steps below.
- First, open Google Play Store and tap on the Menu button inside the search bar.
- After that, tap on My Apps & Games to check for possible updates.
- Finally, tap on Update to install the latest version of Twitter.
For iOS, you can update Twitter by doing the following:
- On your home screen, tap on the App Store to open it.
- After that, prompt your device to check for updates by tapping on the Updates tab from the bottom navigation bar.
- Finally, tap the Update button next to Twitter to install its latest version.
After updating Twitter, ask your friends again to mention you on their tweets to see if you would receive a notification.
5. Clear Your Media and Web Store (iOS Only).
Web and media storage contains cached files used by the Twitter app to improve its performance. However, files stored on media and web storage can get corrupted and cause problems on your device.
If your Twitter notifications are not working, try to clear your media and web storage to eliminate corrupted files.
- First, open the Twitter app on your device and swipe to the right anywhere on your screen to open the side drawer.
- After that, tap on Security and Privacy and find Data Usage.
- Now, tap on Data Usage to open it.
- Scroll down and tap on Web or Media Storage.
- Finally, tap on either Clear Media Storage or Clear Web Storage. Repeat the steps above until you have cleared both your media and web storage.
Once done, try to use the app as you would and see if notifications are now working.
6. Check and Reset Your Internet Connection.
If the Twitter app doesn’t have access to a stable connection, it won’t fetch updates from its servers, which explains why you’re not receiving notifications.
To check your network’s status, run a speed test using Fast.com to measure your current speed bandwidth.
If the result shows that your internet connection is running slow, try to turn off your router for 5 to 10 seconds and restart it afterwards.
Once done, run another speed test to check if your network is now running correctly. Contact your service provider immediately if you continue to run into problems with your network.
7. Try Using Fiverr.
If you are planning to hire freelancers, try to check out Fiverr!
Fiverr is the leading platform for digital services like virtual assistance, content creation, article writing, web design, and more! On Fiverr, you can offer your services to clients or hire other freelancers to help you with your projects.
On the technical side, details and pricing of the project are discussed before starting the gig to avoid clients going over their budget and prevent freelancers from overcharging.
8. Report the Problem to Twitter.
If you’re still having issues with Twitter notifications not working, we suggest that you allow the experts to take over.
Report the problem to Twitter and hope that their team can quickly roll out an update or solution to the problem. Don’t forget to include your account details and other helpful information on your report to help out their team accommodate your concern faster.
This brings us to the end of our guide on fixing Twitter notifications not working on your device. If you have other questions or concerns, let us know in the comment section below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂