Do you see an ‘unknown error has occurred’ message on HBO Max?
With the ongoing global crisis that is COVID 19, we often find ourselves stuck in our homes doing nothing and getting eat up by boredom. Thankfully, we found a way to spend extended periods of lockdowns binge-watching shows from streaming services like HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, and more.
However, all the fun stops if your streaming service decides not to work without any apparent reasons. Unfortunately, this has been the case for some HBO Max subscribers.
In HBO Max’s subreddit, users have been complaining about the random error message that appears while using the HBO Max app. The ‘unknown error has occurred’ error message seems to show up on Roku and iOS devices, but other platforms can also be affected by this problem.
Most of the time, error messages on HBO Max are caused by a problem with its servers or corrupted files on the user’s end.
To help you out, we’ve decided to make a guide on how to fix the ‘unknown error has occurred’ error message on HBO Max.
Let’s get started!
1. Check HBO Max’s Servers.
Like what we’ve mentioned above, a problem with HBO Max’s servers often causes error messages on the platform. To confirm this, you can use third-party tools like Downdetector to view the current status of HBO Max’s servers.
Since you cannot fix server-related issues on your end, the only option you have for now is to wait for HBO Max’s team to address the problem.
On the other hand, proceed to the following method below if HBO Max’s servers are running fine.
2. Try Watching Another Show.
If you see the ‘unknown error has occurred’ error on HBO Max while watching, the problem may be isolated to the specific movie or TV show you are trying to play. Titles on HBO Max may become unavailable for a certain period due to unexpected problems that occur on the app.
To confirm this, go back to the media library and try playing a random movie or TV show. If other titles are working fine on HBO Max, proceed to the final method below to report the problem to HBO Max.
3. Re-Login to Your Account.
Temporary bugs and errors can occur on the HBO Max app or website and cause your user data to get corrupted. If this happens, unexpected error messages may surface on your current session. To fix this, reset your account data by stopping your current session.
On Android and iOS, follow the guide below to close your session:
- First, open the HBO Max app on your mobile device and access your Profile.
- After that, tap on the Gear icon to open the Settings.
- Lastly, go to the bottom of the page and tap the Sign Out button.
For browsers, check out the steps below to stop your current session:
- Access HBO Max using any web browser you prefer.
- Now, click on your Profile icon to access the drop-down menu.
- Finally, click on Sign Out to close your session.
Once done, wait for a few minutes before logging back into your HBO Max account. Try playing a few titles on the app afterward to check if the error message would still occur.
4. Check and Reset Your Connection.
A slow or unstable network connection could also be the reason why you encounter error messages on HBO Max. The platform also requires a minimum internet bandwidth of 5 Mbps to use its services without issues.
To check if the problem is with your network, perform a test using Fast.com to measure its current upload and download bandwidth.
If the result indicates that your internet is slow or unstable, try restarting your network router to re-establish your internet service provider’s connection.
Once done, re-run the test on your network to check if the problem is solved. If not, contact your ISP to report the issue or consider upgrading your current plan if it is below HBO Max’s required speed.
5. Turn Off VPN.
Virtual private networks are third-party applications that protect your network from hackers and other entities. They work by assigning a different IP address to your device to mask your location and filter your sensitive data.
However, some VPNs may not work that efficiently and could cause delays to your network when enabled.
If you see the ‘unknown error has occurred’ message on HBO Max, ensure that your VPN is disabled before accessing the platform.
On the other hand, try using other VPNs if you use them to access HBO Max outside the US.
We recommend that you use PureVPN on your device. Compared to other services, PureVPN works well with other applications and keeps your connection fast and reliable.
6. Clear Browser Cache and Cookies.
Browsers store temporary data on your device called caches and cookies. These data are used to speed up your browser’s performance when loading up websites. However, caches and cookies accumulate over time and could slow down your system.
If you experience unexpected issues on the websites you visit, it signals that you need to clear your browsing data already.
Follow the steps below to clear your browsing data:
- On your browser, click on More Options and open the Settings tab.
- After that, click on Privacy and Security from the side menu and select Clear Browsing Data.
- Now, set the Time Range to All Time and include caches and cookies in the process.
- Finally, click on the Clear Data button to start clearing your browsing data.
Go back to HBO Max afterward, log back into your account, and check if the problem is solved.
7. Disable Your Browser Extensions.
Browser extensions are third-party tools that provide additional functionality to the websites you visit. However, some extensions are not compatible with certain websites and could disrupt their normal flow.
If you experience error messages on HBO Max, try disabling your browser extensions and see if the problem goes away.
Check out the guide below to turn off your browser extensions:
- First, open the Settings of your browser.
- After that, access the Extensions tab from the side menu to manage your browser extensions.
- Lastly, disable all your extensions and restart your browser.
Go back to HBO Max afterward and check if the error message would still occur while using the platform.
You can also try using a different browser if disabling your browser extensions did not work. Your current browser may be experiencing temporary issues, which causes HBO Max to run into errors.
8. Run Malwarebytes.
Your device may be infiltrated by a virus or malware that causes other applications to malfunction. When your device gets infected, viruses will consume its system resources and network bandwidth, leaving nothing left for other applications to use.
To confirm this, download Malwarebytes on your device and use the ‘Full System Scan’ feature. This will prompt Malwarebytes to scan your directory for infected files and automatically remove them in the process.
9. Update HBO Max.
The version of HBO Max installed on your device may have an underlying issue that causes the ‘unknown error has occurred’ message. To fix this, try to check if there are pending updates for HBO Max on your device.
On Android, you can update HBO Max by doing the steps below:
- On your device, open the Google Play Store and access your Profile.
- After that, go to My Apps & Games and find HBO Max.
- Finally, tap the Update button next to HBO Max to install the latest version of the app.
For iOS users, follow the steps below to update HBO Max:
- First, open the App Store from your home screen.
- Now, go to your Profile and locate HBO Max.
- Lastly, tap the Update button beside HBO Max to install the update.
If you are using Set-top boxes, Consoles, or Smart TVs, please visit the Help Center to find out how you can update HBO Max.
After updating HBO Max, go back to your account and check if the error message would still show up.
10. Update Your Device.
If updating HBO Max did not work, try to update your device and see if the problem goes away. This will also ensure that your device’s operating system would be compatible with all the applications installed on your device and the future apps you would install.
On Android, you can update its operating system by doing the following:
- First, open the Settings app on your device and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- After that, tap on About or About Phone and access the Software Update tab.
- Lastly, tap the Download and Install button to update your device’s software.
For iOS users, follow the guide below to update your iOS version:
- On your device, open the Settings and go to the General tab.
- Now, tap on Software Updates to check if there’s a new version of iOS available.
- Finally, tap the Download and Install button to update your system.
If you are using Consoles, Smart TVs, or Set-top boxes, please refer to the Help Center to learn how you can update your software.
After updating your device, go back to your account to check if the ‘unknown error has occurred’ message on HBO Max would still occur.
11. Reinstall HBO Max.
Some of HBO Max’s installation files may have gotten severely corrupted and are no longer fixable. If the update did not work, we suggest that you reinstall HBO Max on your device. This will ensure that you have the latest version of the app and is properly installed on your computer.
For Android users, check out the guide below to reinstall HBO Max on your device:
- First, open the application drawer and locate the HBO Max app.
- Press and hold its app icon afterward until the selection screen shows up on your display.
- Now, tap on Uninstall to delete HBO Max.
- Lastly, open the Google Play Store on your device and reinstall the app from there.
On iOS devices, follow the steps below to reinstall HBO Max on your system:
- On your home screen, find the HBO Max app and press its app icon.
- Once you see the options menu, release the app icon and tap on Remove App.
- Finally, go to the App Store and reinstall HBO Max on your device.
If you are using other devices, go to the Help Center and find the specific guidelines for your system to reinstall HBO Max.
After reinstalling HBO Max, log back into your account and check if the error message would still occur while using the app.
12. Report the Problem to HBO Max.
If none of the methods above worked out for you, we suggest that you ask the help of the professionals.
Visit HBO Max’s Help Center and contact their customer support to report the problem to their team. When reporting an issue, make sure that you include your account details, the model of your device, and a screenshot of the error to help their team assess the situation faster.
This wraps up our guide for fixing the ‘unknown error has occurred’ message on HBO Max. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comment section below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂