Trying to use Telegram without a phone number?
Telegram is one of the most underrated but increasingly-popular communication platforms out there. The secure and simple messaging application has gotten the hearts of many users and companies ever since its release in 2013.
The blue application has a lot of cool features that are otherwise just not present in other messaging apps like Messenger. Telegram stores a catalog of links that have been exchanged throughout your conversation, which is a super handy tool.
Furthermore, if you’re the type of person who likes memes or cute stickers, Telegram has an entire glossary of such cute pictures in their sticker collection. You can also create your own sticker collection if you want! You can also use Telegram on your laptop or phone.
Here’s how you can use Telegram without a phone number!
- 1. Why Does Telegram Need Your Phone Number?
- 2. Use A Friend’s Phone Number.
- 3. Verify Through TextNow.
- 4. Google Voice Phone Number.
- 5. Register With FreePhoneNum.
- 6. Use A Local Texting & Calling App
1. Why Does Telegram Need Your Phone Number?
The biggest enemy for most online companies is bots. No, not cyborgs, but software bots that steal, lag, or mess with websites. These bots can be programmed to either data mine users or send large packet requests to lag servers.
These can be super annoying and problematic to deal with. If you use Facebook or Twitter, you may have seen dummy accounts here and there while trying to search for your friends. For Telegram, this is not the case.
Telegram uses your phone number to verify upon registration that you are indeed a living and breathing person. Whereas for other social media platforms, bots can easily make up email addresses and fake accounts without having to go through this verification process.
By using your number, Telegram is able to verify that you are not a bot. Since phone numbers are semi-limited and harder to create than emails, this can discourage a lot of digital terrorists.
2. Use A Friend’s Phone Number.
The easiest way to open up a Telegram account is to borrow or use your friend’s phone number. Since Telegram will typically only use your phone number once, upon verification, you can just borrow a friend’s number and make an account with that.
However, you will require an SMS verification code whenever you decide to revise your local passcode. Since Telegram doesn’t employ a system with emails and passwords, having a local passcode is the closest thing you can simulate for a similar level of security.
Proceed with this step by asking for your friend’s phone number and registering with that on the Telegram application. Once you’ve signed in with that phone number, your friend should receive an SMS verification code. Let him send that to you and type it in. This should come in a five-number code.
Voila! Once you’re done with that, your Telegram account should now be active and available. Add friends or let them find you through your username or by searching for the phone number registered to your account.
3. Verify Through TextNow.
Since phone numbers are a necessity for Telegram, you can try downloading TextNow to create a free online number. There are a ton of other websites and applications that offer a similar service, but TextNow is one of the apps we’d recommend first.
TextNow will set up a virtual phone number for your account, which you can use to receive the SMS verification code from Telegram.
Here’s how you can verify a Telegram account through TextNow:
- First, let’s start by opening up the App Store so we can download TextNow.
- On the search bar, type in ‘TextNow’ and download the application once you’ve been directed to it.
- When that’s done, open up TextNow and type in your area code to begin. If you don’t know your area code, you can just do a quick google search by typing in ‘[Address] area code’.
- Continue the signing up process until you can use a valid number.
- Now, open up the Telegram app and use the number from TextNow to register.
- Switch over to TextNow and look for the SMS verification text that was sent to your virtual number.
- Finally, when you have that ready, go back to Telegram and type it in to finish the verification process.
Voila! Your Telegram account has just been set up without using your personal phone number. However, if TextNow isn’t supported in your country, don’t worry! There are still a couple of methods you can try out below.
4. Google Voice Phone Number.
With the expanding digital world, it’s only natural that SIM technology is also being digitized. Google Voice is a service offered by Google to set up a personal number that you can use to chat or make calls from just like a regular phone number.
However, you will be required to use a Google account for this method. Creating one might be overdue if you have not already, Google has a lot of features connected to their accounts that can benefit you in a plethora of ways. If you already have one available, then use that.
Here’s how you can use Google Voice to sign in to Telegram:
- Go ahead and open up the Google Voice website and Sign In to your Google account at the top-right corner.
- Now, look for your city or area code to set up your number.
- Select the number you want and follow the prompts to activate your virtual phone number.
- Once you’re done with that, open up Telegram and register with your Google Voice number.
- Lastly, open Google Voice and retrieve the SMS verification code from Telegram. Type the code into the Telegram app.
Your Telegram account should be fully functional after all these steps.
5. Register With FreePhoneNum.
This is easily the most anonymous way of signing up for a Telegram account. FreePhoneNum is a website that provides a list of phone numbers that you can use to register and receive SMS messages.
The website displays these numbers for all their users to see as well as incoming SMS messages to those numbers. Since it’s publicly displayed, be careful about using this platform to receive personal messages. If you don’t feel like using a Google Account or downloading TextNow, you can register a Telegram account through this website.
Note: as of this moment, FreePhoneNum only operates in the United States and Canada. If you aren’t in either country, you can proceed through the next method or try these numbers to see if it’ll work in your Country.
Here’s how you can use FreePhoneNum to register a Telegram account:
- Start by opening up the FreePhoneNum website on your browser.
- Next, select the location of the temporary phone number you’d like to use.
- Now, click on the number you’d like to use and it should open a list of all the SMS it received today.
- Quickly open up your Telegram app and register with the number from FreePhoneNum.
- Switch back to FreePhoneNum and keep on refreshing the page of the number you used until your Telegram SMS shows up.
- Finally, take the verification code from the website and verify your Telegram account.
6. Use A Local Texting & Calling App
If FreePhoneNum didn’t cover or work for your country, try looking for a local Texting & Calling app that you can use. Furthermore, there are a ton of other websites like FreePhoneNum that you can scour for around the internet.
Looking for a local phone number-generating website is your best bet in registering a Telegram account without having to use the methods above.
Now that you’ve reached the end of this article, hopefully, we’ve helped you register a Telegram account without a phone number. If you have any questions regarding this article, feel free to leave a comment down below.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂