Want to play squads, but voice chat is not working on Apex Legends?
Apex Legends is one of the most popular free-to-play battle royale games available on many platforms. However, many players have been complaining recently due to a minor bug in the game.
If you’re reading this, you are probably among them.
Players have been struggling to play squad matches due to the voice chat not working in-game. This can be a problem as squad matches need team coordination to plan your next move and tip-off enemy locations.
Usually, this issue on Apex Legends is caused by problems with your audio device. Your device may not be properly connected to your PC, or its drivers are not installed correctly or outdated.
To help you out, we’ve decided to make a guide for fixing voice chat if it’s not working on Apex Legends.
Let’s get started!
1. Check Apex Legends Servers.
When the voice chat feature is not working on Apex Legends, the first thing you should check is the status of the servers. When the game servers encounter a problem, Apex Legends can’t function as it should.
To check the status of Apex Legends, visit EA’s Help Center, where they constantly show the game’s current state.
If there’s an issue with the servers, the only thing you can do is wait. On the other hand, head to the next solution below to start troubleshooting the problem if there’s nothing wrong with Apex Legends’ Servers.
2. Restart Your PC.
One of the easiest ways to fix most minor issues on Apex Legends or any platform is to restart your system. This will allow your computer to reload its resources and game files, which should eliminate temporary bugs and glitches.
Follow the guide below to reboot your computer:
- First, open the Start Menu on your Taskbar.
- After that, click on the Power Options tab.
- Lastly, choose Restart.
Go back to Apex Legends afterward and check if the voice chat feature is working.
3. Allow Apex Legends to Access Your Microphone.
Due to privacy concerns, Windows has a security feature that lets you control which applications can access your microphone and other hardware. If voice chat is not working on Apex Legends, check if the game can use your microphone.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Press the Windows + I keys on your keyboard to access Windows Settings.
- Next, click on the Privacy tab and go to Microphone.
- Finally, enable the ‘Allow Desktop Apps to Access Your Microphone’ feature and ensure that Apex Legends can use your microphone.
Restart the game afterward and see if voice chat is now working on Apex Legends.
4. Update Your Audio Drivers.
If you can’t hear anything or your teammates can’t hear you, your audio drivers may not be functioning correctly or are outdated. In this case, we suggest checking if there are available updates for your audio device and installing them.
Follow the steps below to guide you through the process:
- First, open the Start Menu and look for the Device Manager.
- After that, click on Open.
- Now, expand the Audio Inputs and Outputs tab.
- Lastly, right-click on your audio device and choose Update Driver.
Do the same thing for your microphone and restart your system afterward.
Go back to Apex Legends to check if voice chat is now working correctly on your computer.
5. Check Your Audio Device.
If you have multiple audio devices plugged into your computer, it’s possible that Windows can’t determine which one you are currently using. To fix this, manually select your audio device on Windows Settings.
Follow the steps below to configure your audio settings on Windows:
- Access the Windows Settings by pressing the Windows + I keys on your keyboard.
- Next, click on the System tab and go to Sound.
- Finally, ensure that your current input and output device are selected.
Relaunch Apex Legends afterward and check if the problem is solved.
6. Switch Between Push to Talk and Open Mic.
There are two ways to use voice chat in Apex Legends. You can either assign a key to activate your microphone or use an open mic, which leaves your microphone active all the time. Depending on your system, one of these methods may not work correctly.
To check which one works for you, try switching from push to talk to an open mic or vice versa. Proceed to the next solution if voice chat is still not working on Apex Legends.
7. Close Other Applications.
Your microphone could be used by other applications on your computer. If this is the case, Apex Legends can’t control your microphone, explaining why the voice chat feature is not working correctly.
To fix this, close down other applications on your system that could be using your microphone.
See the steps below to stop unnecessary programs from running:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + X keys and click on the Task Manager.
- After that, open the Processes tab.
- Finally, identify the applications you no longer use and close them.
Once done, go back to your game and see if voice chat is working on Apex Legends.
8. Reinstall Apex Legends.
If none of the solutions above worked, your last option would be to reinstall the game. This will ensure that you have the latest working version of Apex Legends and there are no corrupted or missing game files.
Check out the guide below to uninstall Apex Legends on your system:
- First, open the Control Panel on your computer.
- Now, click on Uninstall a Program and find Apex Legends from the list of applications installed on your computer.
- Lastly, right-click on Apex Legends and choose Uninstall.
After removing the game, go to Steam or Origin to reinstall Apex Legends. Play another match afterward to confirm if the voice chat feature is working.
That brings us to the end of our guide for fixing the voice chat feature on Apex Legends. If you have questions or any other concerns, please leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to help.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂