Tired of voice navigation not working in Apple Maps on iPhone?
Many iPhone users rely on Apple Maps to help them navigate to different locations when traveling. Voice Navigation is a default setting that gives you directions for your route.
However, just like any other app, Apple Maps is also prone to errors such as Voice Navigation not working on your iPhone.
This issue can be quite concerning as you must constantly look at your maps to ensure the directions.
But, various quick fixes can help you fix this problem. We’ve mentioned some of the most effective and practical troubleshooting methods in this guide.
So, let’s get started!
1. Ensure Your Internet Connection is Good.
The first method to fix voice navigation not working on your iPhone is to ensure your device is connected to a stable network connection. If you are far from an internet source, voice navigation will not work due to limited internet access or low signals. Hence, secure a high-speed internet connection or turn on Mobile Data.
Follow the steps below to do it:
- Go to the Settings app on your device.
- Next, tap on Cellular
- Finally, turn the toggle on for Cellular Data.
If you want to continue using Wi-Fi, check its speed to determine whether that’s the reason behind Apple Maps’ voice navigation not working. If that’s the case, contact your ISP to get the issue resolved.
2. Check iPhone Volume.
Another cause for the voice navigation to not work in Apple Maps is if you have enabled Silent Mode or turned down your iPhone’s volume. This will lead you to not being able to hear the voice navigation.
Simply check your device volume in the following way:
- Firstly, open the Settings app.
- Then, go to Sound & Haptics.
- Drag the Ringtone and Alert Volume slider to the right to increase the device volume.
Check to see if following this method eliminates the issue. Otherwise, continue reading!
3. Turn On the Toggle for Spoken Directions.
If you’re listening to a podcast or an audiobook while using Apple Maps, the voice navigation feature may not work. To hear the directions clearly, you need to change the settings for spoken directions. This will pause any audio during the voice navigation so you can hear it properly.
Here’s how to do it:
- To begin, launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down to Maps and tap on it.
- Now, go to Spoken Directions.
- Enable both Directions Pause Spoken Audio and Directions Wake Device. These options will pause audio content and also wake your device if it is locked. It is also recommended to enable Directions on Radio.
Quit the app and launch Apple Maps to check if the problem has been resolved.
4. Relaunch Maps.
Another effective fix for voice navigation not working in Apple Maps is to force-quit the app and relaunch it. This will give the app a fresh restart and eliminate any bugs or glitches causing the feature to malfunction.
To relaunch Maps, follow the steps below:
- Firstly, access App Launcher by either pressing the Home button twice (on older iPhone models) or swiping up and holding (on newer iPhone models).
- Next, swipe up on the Maps preview to quit the app.
- Wait for a few moments. We recommend restarting your device to ensure a glitch-free device.
- Tap on the Maps app icon to relaunch the app.
Hopefully, this will solve the issue you’re experiencing. If not, you always have other methods to try, as discussed below.
5. Enable Background App Refresh for Maps.
It is also possible that if Maps is running in the background, the Voice Navigation feature fails to work. So, by enabling Background App Refresh for Maps, you can ensure it’s properly working and hearing directions.
Follow the instructions below to enable it:
- In the Settings app, go to Maps.
- From there, turn on the toggle next to Background App Refresh.
This will allow Maps to provide you with voice navigation even when it’s running in the background.
6. Turn on Location Services for Apple Maps.
For Apple Maps to work efficiently, it needs access to Location services. So, if you have disabled Location services for this particular app, it may result in the voice navigation not working on iPhone. To fix this issue, simply turn on Location Services for Apple Maps.
Here’s how you can do it:
- From your Settings app, go to Privacy & Security.
- Then, tap on Location Services.
- Once there, toggle on Location Services.
- Also, scroll down and select Maps.
- Lastly, enable Precise Location as well.
By doing so, Apple Maps can use your accurate location to provide you with voice navigation.
7. Update the Maps App.
It is important to have the latest version of Apple Maps running on your device. By updating the Maps app, you can use new features and get rid of any bugs and issues that may be causing the voice navigation to not work.
Since Apple Maps is a built-in app, it gets updated when you install the latest iOS version on your iPhone. Perform the steps below to have Apple Maps updated:
- From the Settings app, go to General.
- Then, tap on Software Update.
- Wait for Apple to fetch an update. If available, tap on Download and Install to begin the process.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and enter your passcode, if prompted.
When the installation is completed, Apple Maps would be automatically updated and hopefully bug-free.
Note that updating the iPhone’s software takes around 10 to 30 minutes and requires storage. So, always have sufficient battery and storage space before installing the update.
8. Reset Location and Privacy Settings.
If none of the fixes discussed above help to resolve the voice navigation not working in Apple Maps issue, then you can try resetting Location and Privacy settings. By doing so, you are providing the app with restored access to Location services and resetting any privacy restrictions responsible for the issue.
This method will allow Apple Maps to give you accurate directions. Here’s how to do it:
- To start, open the Settings app.
- Then, go to General.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap on Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Finally, tap on Reset and choose Reset Location & Privacy.
Once done, launch the Maps app and check to see if the Voice Navigation feature is working on your device.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to fix voice navigation not working in Apple Maps on iPhone. We hope you were able to fix the issue by using any of the methods mentioned above. If you have any remaining questions or doubts about this particular topic, reach out to us through the comment section. We will gladly help!
If this guide helped you, please share it.