Do you find a lot of unread messages on WhatsApp but don’t recall receiving any push notifications about it?
WhatsApp is a free and popular message app available on most platforms like Android and iOS. However, there have been numerous situations where iOS users have reported that they were not receiving any push notification from the app when someone messaged them on the app.
If you are also experiencing this kind of issue on WhatsApp, then you have come to the right place. Now, this issue can be caused by a few factors like improper device configuration, incorrect configuration of notification settings, or an outdated version of the app.
Today, to make it a little easier for you, we are going to give out a few tips and tricks that you can do to fix the WhatsApp push notification not working problem on iOS 13.
Let’s get started.
- 1. Make Sure Airplane Mode is Turned Off.
- 2. Restart Your iOS Device.
- 3. Enable WhatsApp Notifications on Settings.
- 4. Toggle the Ringer Switch.
- 5. Disable Do Not Disturb Settings on Your Device.
- 6. Check for Any iOS Updates.
- 7. Update WhatsApp.
- 8. Reset Your Settings.
1. Make Sure Airplane Mode Is Turned Off.
iOS devices have a feature called ‘Airplane Mode’ that allows you to turn off all wireless connections on your device, including cellular data.
This prevents WhatsApp from accessing the internet, which causes you to not receive any notifications when someone messages you on the app.
To fix this, make sure that Airplane Mode is turned off on your iOS device. Check out the instructions below to guide you through the process:
- On your iOS device, go to the main screen and tap on Settings to open it.
- Inside the Settings, tap on the On/Off switch beside the Airplane Mode tab to disable it.
- Lastly, to check if Airplane Mode is already disabled on your device, you will see a cellular signal icon on the upper part of your screen.
Now, ask some of your friends to send you a message on WhatsApp to see if you will receive a push notification on the app.
On the other hand, if you are still having problems receiving push notifications from WhatsApp, you can try doing the next possible fix below.
2. Restart Your iOS Device.
If you are positive that Airplane Mode is disabled on your device, what you can do next is to perform a soft restart. It is possible that your iOS device encountered a temporary software glitch, which hinders it from sending out push notifications from applications.
To fix this, a simple restart of your device would be enough. You can follow the steps below to guide you in restarting your iOS device:
- Find the Power Button on your iOS device, press and hold it until the Slide to Power Off option appears.
- Now, press on the Power Switch on the screen and slide it to the right until the screen turns off.
- Finally, After turning off your iOS device, press on the Power Button again to turn it on.
Once your device boots up, ask someone to message you again on the app to see if you will receive a push notification.
If this method did not work, you could try doing a force restart on your iPhone. Then proceed to the next method below if force restart did not work.
3. Enable WhatsApp Notifications on Settings.
Another reason for the app to not send out push notifications on your device is if the actual notifications settings for WhatsApp is disabled on your iOS device. To verify this, you can go into your notifications settings and make sure that notifications are enabled for WhatsApp.
Follow the step-by-step guide below:
- On your device, find and tap on the Settings app to open it.
- Next, tap on the Notifications tab from the Settings main page.
- Lastly, find WhatsApp from the list and make sure that Allow Notifications is Enabled.
After enabling notifications for that app, restart your iOS device, and ask someone again to send you a message to check if the issue is already resolved on your device.
4. Toggle the Ringer Switch.
Now, it is also possible that WhatsApp notifications are perfectly working on your device, but you do not hear them because your device is on mute.
iOS devices have a dedicated ringer switch on its side to make it easier for iOS users to mute and unmute their devices, depending on the situation.
It is possible that the ringer switch on your device is set to mute, and you can’t hear the message notification on your device. To rule out this kind of scenario, you can flip the ringer switch up and down to make sure that your device is not on mute.
Check out the illustration below to give you an idea of how to use the ringer switch.
5. Disable Do Not Disturb Settings on Your Device.
iOS devices also have a feature called Do Not Disturb that allows you to silence notifications from messages and calls.
It is possible that the Do Not Disturb feature on your device is enabled, which causes you to not receive push notifications on WhatsApp. If you see the moon logo on the status bar (right next to your battery indicator) at the top of your device, then it is likely that Do Not Disturb feature is enabled on your device.
To turn off Do Not Disturb mode on your device, follow the steps below:
- First, on your main screen, locate and tap on the Settings app to open it.
- After that, tap on the Do Not Disturb tab inside the Setting’s main screen.
- Lastly, tap on the switch beside the Do Not Disturb option to disable the feature.
Once again, ask someone to send you a message on WhatsApp to see if you will receive a push notification on your device.
However, if you are still having problems receiving notifications on WhatsApp, you can try doing the next method below.
6. Check for Any iOS Updates.
If the push notifications on your iOS device, which is running iOS 13.2, are not working properly, then it is possible that the current version of your operating system has a bug or error related to notifications.
There have been multiple iOS new updates that have been released lately to address such issues as well as various other technicalities. So it’s worth checking out whether you’re on the latest iOS version.
To keep up with the latest updates on your iOS device:
- First, tap on the Settings app on the main screen.
- Now, inside the Settings, tap on General.
- Lastly, tap on Software Updates. This will prompt your device to check for available software updates. Download and Install the update if available. While installing the update, keep in mind that your device may restart a couple of times.
7. Update WhatsApp.
If updating your iOS version did not work in fixing the push notification issue on your device, then the issue may be with the actual application.
The current version of WhatsApp installed on your device might already have the bug in the first place, and the only way to fix the issue would be for WhatsApp to roll out an update.
In this case, you can try checking the app for an update once in a while. Follow the steps below to guide you through the process:
- On your device, find and tap on the App Store to open it.
- Next, tap on the Updates button located at the bottom navigation bar.
- Lastly, the App Store would automatically check for any updates available for all the apps installed on your device. Tap on the Update button beside WhatsApp if an update is available.
After updating WhatsApp, try testing the app to see if the push notifications work.
Alternatively, a few users have also found reinstalling WhatsApp managed to fix the push notification issues on their iPhones running iOS 13.
8. Reset Your Settings.
The last thing you can do to fix the issue with notifications on your iOS device is to reset all the settings on your device. It is possible that you have changed some crucial settings on your device that are related to push notifications.
In this case, it is best that you reset the settings back to its default configuration instead of figuring out what settings you changed that affected your push notifications.
- On your iOS device, tap on the Settings app from the main screen.
- After that, tap on the General tab.
- Next, inside the General tab, press on the Reset button.
- Lastly, select Reset All Settings. Take note that this will delete all your customized configuration on your device.
After resetting the settings on your device, ask someone to send you a message on WhatsApp, and observe if you would get the push notification from the app. By now, you should be able to receive your WhatsApp push notification without any issues, just like you would receive on a new iOS device.
If you continue to experience issues with the push notifications, it’s also worth checking if WhatsApp is down. You can use either Downdetector or refer to the #whatsappdown thread on Twitter to see if the issue is widespread.
This wraps up our guide on how to fix WhatsApp push notification not working on iOS devices. If you come across another solution for this kind of issue, kindly share it in the comment section below, and we would be glad to give you credit once this article got updated.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂