Trying to get those widgets on your new, iOS 14 home screen but your Widgetsmith isn’t working?
The new iOS 14 has been an internet craze over the past week. Apple introduced so many features like a new interface, being able to choose default applications, and more. But what has taken the cake for the mainstream media is the level of home screen customization that Apple gave to their users.
Aesthetic pictures of themed home screens are everywhere on Twitter as well as cool new widgets. One of the increasingly popular third-party widget generators is Widgetsmith. However, iOS 14 is a new operating system, and Widgetsmith is a new app designed to take advantage of iOS 14’s new widget features.
Finding bugs and glitches here and there that can cause this app not to work is not uncommon. In this article, we will be going through bug fixes and setting solutions to see what we can do to make your Widgetsmith work.
Let’s get started.
- 1. Tap On The Grey Widget.
- 2. Reinstall And Update Widgetsmith.
- 3. Can’t Find The Widgetsmith Widget?
- 4. Widgetsmith Widget Just Grey?
- 5. Check Widgetsmith’s Permissions.
1. Tap On The Grey Widget.
Let’s start with the simplest fix. Is the Widgetsmith widget displaying nothing but a grey icon or screen?
Tap on the grey widget you’re having a problem with to force it to load. This might open the widget or take you to another screen, but directly interacting with the widget should refresh it and force it to load.
Hopefully, when you revisit your home screen, the widget should be completely loaded. If not, don’t worry and proceed to the next methods.
2. Reinstall And Update Widgetsmith.
Widgetsmith is a relatively new application, and so is iOS 14. Since Widgetsmith directly interacts with your operating system and the home screen, the code for it is more reliant on the compatibility of your operating system. You can contrast this to other third-party apps that only need to update permissions but can maintain the same independent system outside of your iOS.
Essentially what this means is that Widgetsmith will be going through a lot of updates over the week, as the iOS 14 is also continually being updated and fixed of bugs and glitches. Go ahead and open up the Apple Store and check if Widgetsmith has any updates. You can also reinstall it for good measure.
It’s also important to make sure that your iPhone is running the official iOS 14 operating system and not a beta or earlier testing version. If you’re running anything other than the official iOS 14, Widgetsmith will not work with these versions and malfunction.
3.Can’t Find The Widgetsmith Widget?
Are you having trouble trying to make a widget out of Widgetsmith?
Well, chances are you haven’t opened the Widgetsmith application yet despite downloading it. This problem is pretty common and can be solved by opening Widgetsmith and making at least one widget from within the Widgetsmith app.
Here’s how you can add a Widgetsmith widget to your home screen once you’re done making one:
- First, press on any empty space on your home screen and hold until your apps start to jiggle.
- Now, on the top-left corner of your screen, there should be a Plus sign (+). Tap on this to add a widget.
- Next, scroll down until you reach a list of the currently installed apps on your iPhone and look for Widgetsmith.
- Once you tap on Widgetsmith, a prompt of different sizes will appear. Choose your preference and this will add that widget to your home screen.
- Finally, you can tap on the newly added widget and customize it to your desired purpose.
After doing so, you should be able to see Widgetsmith as an option next time you try to insert it as a widget onto your home screen.
4. Widgetsmith Widget Just Grey?
The Widgetsmith displaying as a blank grey icon on your home screen, we assume, isn’t exactly what you expected from it. This is also a common problem but can be fixed by creating one or more widgets through the Widgetsmith app.
By doing so, you create data files that the Widgetsmith can use to display on your home screen instead of the blank grey icon.
Here’s how you can create a widget through Widgetsmith:
- Go ahead and open the Widgetsmith application on your iPhone. You will be asked to choose between sizes. Choose any and follow the prompts.
- Next, tap on the newly created widget and tap on the icon again to proceed to the Default window. A list of all the types widgets you can make should appear, click on any for now or on your desired widget.
- Finally, you will be asked to choose a picture and other details specific to your widget. Choose according to your preferences, and you should be done.
Now a proper Widgetsmith widget should appear. If the widget remains grey, remove it and add it again to see if it fixed the problem.
5. Check Widgetsmith’s Permissions.
Widgetsmith is one of the most convenient ways to set up an aesthetic and functional widget on your home screen. From the time, health, alarms, emails, and so on. Naturally, this would require a lot of permissions from your iPhone.
A malfunctioning Widgetsmith widget might be due to an error caused by the iPhone not allowing the functions because of lacking permissions. Luckily, Widgetsmith included an easy way to check for permissions through their application.
Here’s how you can check Widgetsmith permissions:
- Start by opening the Widgetsmith app.
- On the bottom right corner, you should see a gear icon that says Settings. Tap on this.
- Now, in the Settings window under OPTIONS go ahead and select Manage Permissions.
- An entire list of permissions needed by Widgetsmith should now be displayed on your screen. Look for permissions with Statuses that are Requested. Granted statuses are permissions that should work completely fine. The ‘Requested’ ones are the ones you want to Authorize.
- Finally, depending on the permission you’re trying to grant different prompts will show up. Just navigate through these prompts until you can enable it for Widgetsmith.
When you’re done enabling all the permissions that Widgetsmith needs, any widgets on your home screen suffering from this related error should now be fixed. Go ahead and open your home screen to check or restart your iPhone to be completely sure.
If the problems still persists, then keep in mind that iOS 14 still has a lot of software problems. Widgetsmith is also a recently released app and will have complications. Over the following weeks, we can expect these issues to be resolved and function properly, but for now, we may have to wait.
You may also have a problem with the third-party application you’re currently trying to make a widget for. It’s best to update all your applications after upgrading to iOS 14 to make sure your apps are compatible with the operating system.
Now that you’ve reached the end of this article, we hope that this has fixed your ‘Widgetsmith not working on iOS 14’ issue. If you have any other questions related to this article, feel free to leave a comment down below so other users can discuss it with you.
If this guide helped you, please share it.