Is your mic not working on Discord?
One of the crucial things that should be working when you join a voice or video chat is your microphone. Without your microphone, you cannot communicate with the other users on the call.
Unfortunately, this has been the case for several Windows users struggling to get their microphones working on Discord.
Microphone issues on Windows, in general, are very common. Most of the time, this problem is caused by wrong configurations or improper app permissions. However, it can also be due to corrupted drivers, third-party software, or faulty hardware.
If you use Discord all the time, we understand your frustration. Thankfully, you don’t have to suffer for long as we’re here to help.
In this guide, we’ll show you what to do if your mic is not working on Discord.
Let’s get right into it!
1. Check Discord Servers.
Before changing your system configurations, it’s crucial to identify first where the problem is coming from. You can do this by visiting Discord’s dedicated status page. From there, you can check if there’s an ongoing issue on the platform.
If the servers are down, you don’t have to do anything on your end but wait.
However, if there’s nothing wrong with Discord’s servers, proceed to the following solutions below to start troubleshooting the issue on your side.
2. Restart Your PC.
One of the quickest ways to fix most issues on Windows or any application is to restart your device. This should allow your system to reload its resources and eliminate any errors that may have occurred during runtime.
See the steps below to restart your PC:
- First, open the Start Menu on your Taskbar.
- After that, access the Power Options tab.
- Lastly, choose Restart to reboot your computer.
Go back to Discord afterward and check if your mic is working.
3. Check Your Input Settings.
If your mic is not working on Discord, the app may have selected the wrong input device on your system. To check this, go to your voice and video settings and manually choose the microphone you’re using.
Here’s how you can check your input settings on Discord:
- On the Discord app, click on the Gear icon near your Profile to access the Settings.
- Inside the Settings, go to the Voice & Video tab.
- Finally, click on the Input Device tab and choose the microphone you’re using.
Once done, restart the Discord app and check if the problem is solved.
4. Check Your Push to Talk Settings.
You may have enabled push to talk on Discord and forgotten about it. If this feature is enabled, your microphone won’t work unless you press the assigned key for your microphone.
Follow the steps below to check your push to talk settings:
- Access Discord’s settings on your computer.
- Next, go to Voice & Video.
- Finally, look for the Input Mode tab and choose the Voice Activity option.
Try joining another channel afterward to check if your mic is working.
5. Adjust Your Input Sensitivity.
Discord has a feature that automatically detects your voice activity and determines the correct input sensitivity. However, there are times when the feature doesn’t work correctly, especially if there’s a lot of noise in your background.
To fix this, follow the steps below to adjust your input sensitivity manually:
- On Discord, access the Settings and go to the Voice & Video tab.
- Now, look for the Input Sensitivity tab and turn off the ‘Automatically Determine Input Sensitivity’ option.
- Finally, move the slider until it covers the level being picked up from your background noise.
Once done, join another voice or video chat and check if your mic is working.
6. Check Your System Permissions.
Windows has a feature that lets you decide which applications can access your hardware. If your mic is not working on Discord, the app may not be allowed to use it.
See the steps below to check your system settings:
- First, press the Windows + I keys on your keyboard to access Windows Settings.
- After that, go to the Privacy tab.
- Next, click on Microphone from the side menu.
- Lastly, enable the ‘Allow Desktop Apps to Access Your Microphone’ feature.
Restart Discord afterward and check if your microphone is working.
7. Update Your Drivers.
Faulty device drivers could also be why your mic is not working on Discord. To confirm this, we recommend updating your microphone drivers to the latest version possible.
You can update your drivers on Windows by doing the following:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + X keys to access the Quick Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager.
- After that, expand the Audio Inputs and Outputs tab.
- Finally, right-click on your microphone and choose Update Driver.
Reboot your system after the update and check if the problem is solved.
8. Update Windows.
The current version of Windows you’re using may have an issue that causes your microphone to malfunction. To rule this out, update your operating system to the latest version possible to patch bugs and glitches.
Here’s how you can check for updates on Windows:
- First, open Windows Settings.
- Next, go to Update & Security and click on Windows Update.
- Lastly, click the Check for Update button and follow the prompts to download the latest version of Windows.
Once done, go back to Discord to check if your microphone is working.
9. Check Your Microphone.
If you still can’t get your microphone to work, you may be dealing with hardware failure. Try to check your microphone’s cables for damage or exposed wires. You can also check the actual mic for any sign of wear.
If you’re not sure, we suggest that you bring it to the nearest service center and have professionals take a look.
You can also try using another microphone if you can get one and see if the problem goes away. If other microphones are working on Discord, your microphone is likely faulty.
That wraps up our guide for fixing your mic if it’s not working on Discord. If you have questions or any other concerns, please let us know in the comment section below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂