Wondering how to access and change themes on iOS 16?
Apple has just released the highly anticipated iOS 16 beta version. While the update is only available to registered developers, a few notable new features added have become the talk of the town, with themes catching the most attention.
You can redesign your lock screen by changing the wallpaper and fonts, adding widgets, and so on. All of this is now integrated into a single feature known as Themes. It is a set of predesigned collections such as Astronomy, Color, Emoji, etc., in which the wallpaper, widgets, and functions embody the characteristics that resonate with the category they fall under.
But it doesn’t just stop here. You can take a step further and even customize the themes to make them more personalized. If you’re looking for that and more, this place is perfect for you. Below, we’ve discussed everything in detail related to ways you can access and change themes on iOS 16.
So without further ado, let’s get started!
1. Access Themes on iOS 16.
The new customization tools and features on iOS 16 are almost unbeatable, especially when it comes to giving more character to the appearance of your lock screen. You can do so by heading over to the customization settings and selecting a theme according to your preference.
That way, you can give the appearance of your iPhone’s lock screen a new and more personalized look. As each category follows characteristics of its own, you’re not left with limited options to choose from. In fact, you can further customize the themes as per your liking.
Here’s how to access themes on iOS 16:
- Begin by launching the Settings app from your Home Screen.
- Now, scroll down the list of options and select Wallpapers.
- From the next screen, tap on Add New Wallpaper under the lock screen and home screen previews.
Alternatively, you may:
- Turn on your iPhone’s screen without unlocking it and long press on the lock screen until it pans out.
- Then tap on the + icon at the bottom right corner, which will take you to the Add New Wallpaper screen.
You will then come across an overflow menu with various theme options available for you to choose from. If you want to make changes, Apple doesn’t restrict you from changing things a bit for further customization.
2. Change Theme to Weather & Astronomy.
As the name gives off, the theme Weather & Astronomy has wallpapers related to the said theme and widgets that display weather details and astronomical conditions according to your current location.
Here’s what you can do while choosing the Weather & Astronomy theme:
- Once you’re on the Add New Wallpaper screen, swipe right on the six available wallpapers under Weather & Astronomy to choose one.
- The first one is a weather-themed wallpaper with widgets displaying the local weather conditions, particularly in your area. However, you need to turn on Location Services on your device for that to function.
- The rest of the wallpapers are related to Sun and Moon. Therefore, the widgets included in their theme will showcase astronomical data such as Sun and Moon events.
- Now, tap the clock widget if you want to customize the font and text color.
- To change to a different wallpaper, swipe left and right on the screen. Note that while you do so, the widgets will remain the same, and only the wallpaper will be changing.
- If you want to change the default widgets, tap on the widget block under the clock widget.
- When satisfied, tap on Done at the upper right corner of the screen to apply the selections to your lock screen.
3. Change Theme to Emoji.
Another option when changing themes on iOS 16 is the emoji category. This fun theme gives your phone an exciting and lively appearance due to the color choice and emoji characters.
The theme allows maximum customization as you can add and remove preset emojis to obtain a more personal outlook. Here’s what you can do:
- When on the Add New Wallpaper screen, swipe left on the options available under the Emoji-themed wallpapers and select one that best fits your taste.
- After that, swiping across the screen (both left and right) will display different layouts, for instance, medium grid, large grid, etc.
- You can also choose your favorite emojis to display as wallpaper by tapping on the emoji icon at the bottom left side of the screen. Then, tap on the text field to make changes. Erase the ones you don’t want and type new ones you wish to include.
- When done, tap on the x icon at the right corner of the overflow menu.
- To change the background color, tap on the ellipsis icon at the bottom right corner.
- From the pop-up options, choose Background.
- Tap on the color you like and use the slider at the bottom to change the shade of the hues.
- If you don’t like the colors displayed, you can choose an entirely new color by tapping on the color wheel icon and moving around the selection on the color spectrum to pick the desired color.
- When done, tap on the x icon to apply the edits.
- Lastly, tap on Done.
4. Change Theme to Collections.
For the Collections category, Apple has added five preset themes that you can choose and edit according to your preferences. While they all look different, they fall under the same category due to strong and vivid colors, unique patterns and shapes, and striking appearance.
Follow the steps below to learn what changes you can make to these wallpapers:
- After tapping Add New Wallpaper, you may scroll down to the Collections category and select any of the five available themes.
- The first option on the list allows users to add depth and perspective zoom effects.
- For the second option, Pride, you can only edit the widgets and fonts as explained in the above sections. Other than that, it doesn’t offer many customization tools.
- The third and fourth theme options offer not only depth and perspective zoom effects but also various color options. Simply tap on the wallpaper, then swipe left to view and change color patterns for the theme.
- For the last option, you can even apply light and dark themes to the wallpaper. To do so, select the wallpaper, then tap on the ellipsis icon at the bottom right corner.
- From the pop-up menu, choose Appearance and pick the option that best fits your liking.
5. Change Theme to Color.
The Color category for the wallpapers available on iOS 16 has various ROYGBIV-themed color options to choose from. The different wallpapers are based on the style, including solids and varying gradation effects.
If you want to make further edits, here’s how you can do it:
- Firstly, choose a wallpaper of your choice.
- Now, swipe across your screen to view different effects adjusting to gradation, depth, and saturation of the color.
- To pick a different color, simply tap on the color icon in the bottom left corner.
- Then use the slider to adjust to the shade of the selected hue. To pick an entirely new color, tap on the color wheel icon.
- Finally, tap on the x icon when done to apply the changes.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to access and change themes on iOS 16. If you have more questions, utilize the comment section below. Also, let us know which theme on iOS 16 is your favorite.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 😊