Looking for ways to fix DISM error 87 on Windows 10?
Windows 10 has several built-in tools that scan for corruption errors within the system and repair them. One such tool is the DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management), which is responsible for performing servicing tasks in Windows.
DISM is typically used when the System File Checker (SFC) is unable to solve an issue within Windows. However, there are certain instances when the DISM can fail to execute commands. Since this command-line tool is considered the last resort for many users, errors like DISM error 87 often leave users perplexed.
If you have been facing this error and are looking for a step-by-step guide on fixing DISM error 87 on Windows 10, we got you covered.
But before jumping straight into the solutions, let’s have a look at the causes of DISM error 87.
Typically, DISM error 87 occurs due to the reasons mentioned below.
- Users have mistyped the Command-line.
- Users are running commands in regular Command Prompt Window instead of elevated Command Prompt.
- The DISM version is incompatible with Windows.
This guide will introduce you to some simple steps you can follow to fix DISM error 87 in Windows 10.
Let’s get started.
- 1. Use Correct Spacing.
- 2. Use Elevated Command Prompt.
- 3. Install Pending Windows Update.
- 4. Run System File Checker.
- 5. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- 6. Use the Correct DISM Version.
- 7. Perform Repair Install.
1. Use Correct Spacing.
If you are typing the command-line in Command Prompt instead of pasting the text, spacing errors will likely happen. DISM does not run commands that are mistyped, so it is crucial to make sure that the text does have any errors.
Incorrect spacing before every “/ “ is common. Make sure to use one space before each slash. The correct syntax of a command is:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
Follow the syntax mentioned above to type commands into Command Prompt correctly.
2. Use Elevated Command Prompt.
Elevated Command Prompt enables the users to execute commands with administrative privileges. If you open the regular Command Prompt Window, you will not be able to execute all commands. This is because the regular Command Prompt was developed to protect users from running commands that can significantly change the system.
If the command you are trying to execute is showing DISM error 87 in the regular Command Prompt window, you need to run it in elevated Command Prompt.
To execute commands in elevated Command Prompt, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Type Command Prompt in the search bar and hit Enter.
- On the right panel, click on Run as administrator to open a User Account Control window.
- Select Yes on the User Account Control window to open elevated Command Prompt.
That’s it. You can now try typing the command and see if running the command with administrative privileges solved the error.
3. Install Pending Windows Update.
A bug in the operating system can also cause DISM error 87. This bug was resolved in October 2017, when Microsoft launched the Fall Creator’s Update. This update has several improved features and whether you are using a pirated or a licensed version of Windows 10, missing out on the latest updates can result in frequent errors.
To check for the latest updates and install them, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press Windows + R key simultaneously to open a Run dialogue box.
- Type ms-settings:windowsupdate in the dialogue box and hit Enter.
- Inside the Windows Update tab, click on Check for Updates.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to install pending updates.
- Once the installation is successful, restart the PC.
- Rerun elevated Command Prompt and try to execute the command now.
Hopefully, this would solve the issue. If the error persists, follow the next method.
4. Run System File Checker.
System File Checker (SFC) is a utility that runs scans through the system and repairs the corrupted files. DISM error 87 can be caused by corrupted system files, which is why running scans through System File Checker is a good option.
To run System File Checker on your PC, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Type Command Prompt in the search bar and click on Run as administrator option on the right panel.
- This will open a User Account Control (UAC) window. Click Yes on the UAC window to open elevated Command Prompt.
- Now type the command mentioned below in Command Prompt and press Enter.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Once the operation completes successfully, type the command mentioned below and hit Enter.
- Do not close the Command Prompt window until “Verification 100% complete” appears on your screen. After that, press Exit.
Running System File Checker (SFC) will repair the corrupted files that were causing the error. You can now try running commands in Command Prompt again to see if SFC solved the issue.
5. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
Windows updates sometimes contain a bug that causes errors and prevents users from executing commands successfully. If you have been experiencing DISM error 87 after installing an update, running Windows Update Troubleshooter can solve the cleanup error.
Windows Update Troubleshooter will fix the errors caused after installing the update. To run the troubleshooter, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Type Settings in the search bar and press Enter.
- Click on Update and Security and select Troubleshoot on the left panel.
- Under the option of Windows Update, click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Once the operation is completed successfully, run System File Checker to see if it detects any errors.
If the DISM error 87 occurred after installing the Windows update, running the troubleshooter will solve the issue.
6. Use the Correct DISM Version.
DISM versions are different for each Window. Suppose you updated your system to Windows 10. In that case, you must use the DISM version designed for Windows 10.
Using an old DISM version on the latest Windows will result in errors whenever you try to execute commands.
To shift to a DISM version that is compatible with Windows, contact Microsoft Support. The procedure is different for each platform.
7. Perform Repair Install.
If none of the methods mentioned above works for you, consider performing a repair install. This process will re-initiate the corrupted files.
A repair install does not affect the data or applications on your computer, which means you will not have to reinstall everything again. However, if you want to delete all the data, go for a Clean Install.
To perform a repair install on your PC, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Download the Windows 10 ISO file and save it on your Desktop.
- Access the file.
- Find setup.exe and double click it to start the repair.
- Once the process completes, open elevated Command Prompt and try executing commands to see if this method solved your problem.
Performing a repair install on your PC will solve all the corruption errors without damaging any program or application.
This wraps up our guide on fixing the DISM error 87 on Windows 10. We hope that our solutions helped solve the DISM error 87 on your PC. Moreover, we have also discussed the DISM source files could not be found on Windows 10, 8, or 7 error in our previous guide. Don’t forget to give it a read if you have been facing the “DISM source files could not be found” error.
If you still have any confusion, let us know in the comment section below.
If this guide helped you, please share it.