Are you trying to figure out how to fix the error code 42 on Disney Plus?
If you love watching Disney shows, there’s a good chance that you have a subscription to Disney Plus. It is an on-demand movie streaming service that features movies and TV shows from respected producers like Pixar, Marvel, National Geographic Channel, and Disney.
The app is available for all major operating systems and works pretty well most of the time. However, this doesn’t mean that the platform is free from unexpected problems and errors.
If you’re here, it is safe to assume that you are currently seeing an error code 42 on Disney Plus. Based on what we’ve found out, this problem is mainly caused by a weak internet connection or a time-out error.
When you see this error code, you could not watch any shows on Disney Plus, which can be frustrating.
To help you out, we’ve decided to make a guide in fixing the error code 42 on Disney Plus.
Let’s jump right in!
1. Check Disney Plus Servers.
Whenever you encounter problems on Disney Plus, the first thing that you should always do is to confirm if the problem is on their side or your end. To do this, you can use third-party tools such as Downdetector to view Disney Plus servers’ current status.
If their servers are down, we suggest that you just wait for their team to address the issue. However, you can still try the remaining methods below and see if anything works out.
2. Test By Watching Another Show.
Some shows on Disney Plus encounter problems and become unplayable for a certain period. If you see the error code 42 when playing a specific movie or TV show, go back to the media library and check if it would be the same for another title.
Proceed to the last method below if the error code 42 on Disney Plus only occurs on particular movies and TV shows.
3. Lower the Stream Quality.
Streaming videos online can consume a lot of bandwidth, especially those with high resolution. If you see the error code 42 on Disney Plus, it can indicate that your network can’t handle the bandwidth requirement for that title.
In this case, we recommend lowering the playback quality on Disney Plus to reduce the load on your network.
Check out the guide below to change the stream quality on Disney Plus:
- First, open the Disney Plus app on your device.
- After that, open your Profile and tap the App Settings tab.
- Now, go to Wi-Fi Data Usage and select Save Data. Go back to the App Settings and do the same thing for Cellular Data Usage.
- Lastly, tap the Video Quality tab under Downloads and change it to Standard or Medium.
Go back to the media library afterward and check if the problem is solved.
4. Re-Login to Your Account.
A temporary bug or glitch may have occurred on your current session and corrupted your user data. If this happens, random error messages may appear on your account until you refresh its data.
Re-login to your Disney Plus account to reload your account data and eliminate any errors in the process.
On Android and iOS, you can sign out of your Disney Plus account by doing the following:
- First, open the Disney Plus app on your device.
- After that, tap on your Avatar on the bottom navigation bar.
- Lastly, tap the Log Out button to complete the process.
For browsers, check out the steps below to log out of your Disney Plus account:
- Go to the Disney Plus website using your preferred browser.
- Now, point the mouse cursor to your Avatar to open the drop-down menu.
- Finally, click on Log Out to sign out your account.
If you are using other devices, follow the steps below to sign out your account:
- Using a browser, access your Disney Plus account and point the mouse cursor to your Avatar.
- After that, click on the Account tab.
- Lastly, tap on Log Out of All Devices.
Once done, wait for 2 to 3 minutes before re-accessing your account and check if the problem is solved.
5. Check and Reset Your Internet.
A slow or unstable internet connection could also be why the error code 42 on Disney Plus occurs. The error message usually means that your device is having a hard time communicating with the servers.
To check if your network connection is the problem, run a speed test on your network using Fast.com.
If the result confirms that your connection is the problem, restart your router to re-establish the link with your ISP’s servers. Unplug your router’s power cable from the wall outlet and wait for at least 10 seconds before plugging it back in.
Once done, run another test to check if your internet connection is now running correctly. Contact your ISP if your network continues to run slow and ask for their help.
On the other hand, Disney Plus requires a minimum internet speed of 5 Mbps to use their platform without issues. Consider upgrading your current plan if it doesn’t meet the necessary minimum speeds.
6. Turn Off VPN.
Virtual private networks are third-party services that provide security over your home and local connections. They protect your data by changing your IP address and filtering the information in and out of your device.
Unfortunately, some VPNs don’t work that well and could cause delays and interruptions on your network. This can result in your device not being able to communicate with Disney Plus servers properly.
If you are running a VPN on your device, turn it off before streaming any shows on the platform.
You can also consider getting other VPNs like IPVanish if you don’t want to browse online without protection. IPVanish works well with most applications and keeps your network connection stable all the time.
For users outside the US, visit our dedicated guide on how you can access Disney Plus outside the region.
7. Disable Browser Extensions.
Browser extensions could also be the reason behind the error code 42 on Disney Plus. Although extensions provide additional features, some websites may not be compatible.
If you have extensions installed on your browser, turn them off before using Disney Plus. Check out the guide below to disable your browser extensions:
- First, open your preferred browser and click on the Options button beside your Profile icon.
- After that, click on Settings and access the Extensions tab.
- Lastly, turn off all the extensions and add ons installed on your browser.
Once done, restart your browser and re-access Disney Plus. Use the platform for several minutes to check if the error code 42 is fixed.
8. Run Malwarebytes.
Malware and viruses are malicious programs and files that consume your system resources and negatively affect your device’s performance. Viruses can also eat up your bandwidth, which causes your network to run slow.
If you suspect that your device is infected, you can use third-party programs like Malwarebytes. It has a full system scan feature that searches your entire storage for infected files and automatically removes them in the process.
Malwarebytes is available for all major operating systems, including iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS.
9. Update Disney Plus.
The current version of Disney Plus on your device might be due for an update, which explains the error code 42. Disney Plus releases timely updates to its application to ensure that it is optimized for most devices and errors are being patched.
On Android, you can update the Disney Plus app by doing the following:
- First, launch the Google Play Store from your application drawer.
- After that, tap the Menu button and open the My Apps & Games tab.
- Lastly, locate Disney Plus from the list and tap the Update button.
For iOS users, follow the steps below to update Disney Plus:
- On your home screen, tap the App Store to launch it.
- Next, go to your Profile to view the list of applications with available updates.
- Finally, tap the Update button beside Disney Plus to install the latest version.
If you are using a Playstation 4, check out the steps below to update Disney:
- On your main screen, highlight the Disney Plus app using your controller.
- After that, press the Options button on your controller to access the side menu.
- Choose Check for Update and press the O or X button on your controller to confirm your action.
Visit the Help Center and look for your device’s specific guide if you don’t see your system from the list above.
10. Reinstall Disney Plus App.
If the update did not fix the error code 42 on Disney Plus, some of its installation files might be severely corrupted. Random bugs and glitches that occur on the platform can cause Dinsey Plus’s installation files to be corrupted and trigger random error codes.
To fix this, delete the app from your device and reinstall a working copy afterward.
On Android devices, you can reinstall Disney Plus by doing the following:
- First, open your device and find Disney Plus from the application drawer.
- After that, tap and hold its app icon until the options menu shows up.
- Now, tap on Uninstall to delete Disney Plus.
- Lastly, go to the Google Play Store and reinstall the app from there.
For iOS users, check out the guide below to reinstall Disney Plus:
- On your device, locate the Disney Plus app on the home screen.
- Next, press its app icon until the selection menu appears.
- After that, tap on Remove App to uninstall Disney Plus.
- Finally, go to the App Store and reinstall Dinsey Plus.
If you are using a Playstation 4, follow the steps below to reinstall Dinsey Plus:
- On your main screen, select Disney Plus and press the Options button on your controller.
- After that, select Delete on the side menu.
- Now, press the O or X button on your controller to confirm the action.
- Finally, go to the PS Store and reinstall the app from there.
See the other guides below if you don’t see your device from the list above:
- Reinstall Disney Plus on Xbox One
- Remove Disney Plus on Roku Devices
- Uninstall Disney Plus on Apple TV
11. Report the Problem to Disney Plus.
If you still encounter the error code 42 on Disney Plus, we suggest that you let their team handle the situation.
Go to the Help Center, where you can contact their customer support to report the problem. When asking for help, make sure to give your account details, the exact error code you are experiencing, and the device you use to make it easier for their team to assess the problem.
You can also browse their guides from there and see if you can find any solutions.
This ends our guide in fixing the error code 42 on the Disney Plus app. For your questions and other concerns, leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to help you out.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂