Keep encountering This App Has Been Blocked for Your Protection on Windows 11?
Windows provides its users with numerous security features that prevent unauthorized changes to the PC and block certain apps from running.
If you’re continuously encountering the “This App Has Been Blocked for Your Protection” error on your PC while trying to launch an app, chances are your account does not have admin permissions.
Some other reasons behind this error include system glitches, improper service configuration, or Windows Defender blocking the application from running.
However, worry not, as this issue can be resolved using several troubleshooting fixes. We have mentioned some of the most effective ones in this guide.
So, let’s get started!
1. Launch the App With Command Prompt.
If you’re having trouble launching a certain app on your computer via File Explorer, another alternative is to launch it with Command Prompt. Command Prompt allows a faster way to access the app. This will help you bypass the error.
To launch the app with Command Prompt, follow the steps below:
- To get started, navigate to the location of the file.
- Then, right-click on it and select Copy as path.
- Next, search for ‘cmd’ in Windows search and click on Run as administrator.
- Press the Ctrl + V keys from your keyboard to paste the file path in the prompt and hit Enter to run the app.
Now, check to see if the issue is resolved.
2. Launch the App as an Administrator.
To protect your computer from unauthorized access, Windows prevents accounts without admin rights from accessing apps on your PC. However, if you’re facing this error with your main account having admin permissions, run the app as administrator.
- All you need to do is search for the app on Windows Search.
- Then, right-click on the app and choose Run as administrator.
- If a UAC prompt appears, click Yes.
This method will effectively eliminate the error.
3. Unblock App in Properties.
Another cause for the This App Has Been Blocked for Your Protection error to occur is if you’ve downloaded files from the Internet. This blocks your access to those files as a security measure for your PC. So, to fix this error, you need to unblock those files.
Here’s how to do it:
- Firstly, select the app file that’s showing the error, then press Alt + Enter key to launch its Properties.
- Go to the General tab, and click the Unblock checkbox to select it.
- Then, click Apply and OK to save these changes.
Once done, check to see if the error appears.
4. Update or Reinstall the App.
If the This App Has Been Blocked for Your Protection error occurs due to an error or glitch within the app, simply updating or reinstalling it will fix the problem. Either update the app to its latest version to eliminate any bugs responsible for the error. Or uninstall the app, and download and install it again.
Having the latest app version will help overcome this error, as it comes with various fixes and new features. Here’s how to reinstall the app on Windows 11:
- Begin by launching the Run utility.
- Type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the field and hit OK.
- Now, select the app you wish to remove from the list, then click on Uninstall at the top.
- Reconfirm your action to completely delete the program from your computer.
- Now go to the official website and re-download the latest installer.
Now, try launching the app and see if the error occurs.
5. Disable Antivirus Program.
There is also a possibility that the antivirus program on your computer is causing the error. It may be sensing a false threat and blocking your access to the app. To resolve this issue, you will need to disable the antivirus program.
Performing the following steps to turn it off:
- To start, type ‘virus & threat protection’ in Windows search and click on Open.
- Next, click on Manage settings under the Virus & threat protection settings section.
- Finally, toggle off Real-time protection and choose Yes in the User Account Control pop-up.
After that, check whether you can open the app without the error appearing. If not, proceed to the next solution.
6. Disable Windows Defender SmartScreen.
The function of Windows Defender SmartScreen is to protect your computer from apps that may pose threats occasionally. It scans and detects any apps that may cause harm to your PC and blocks them from opening. If you’re facing this error, disable this app and resolve the issue:
Follow the steps below to disable it:
- To begin, press the Windows key + i to launch the Settings app.
- Then, go to the Privacy & security tab from the left pane.
- On the right side, click on Windows Security.
- Once there, click on the Open Windows Security button.
- In the new window, go to the App & browser control tab.
- From there, click on the Reputation-based protection settings link under the Reputation-based protection section.
- Lastly, toggle off all the options.
This will prove to fix the issue. Now, try launching the app and see if it works.
7. Configure Cryptographic Services.
Another effective fix in resolving the This App Has Been Blocked for Your Protection error is to configure Cryptographic services. By doing so, you will ensure that the system’s digital signatures are verified, enabling applications to run on your computer without facing errors.
Configure Cryptographic services in the following way:
- Using the Run utility, launch services.msc.
- Scroll through the list and locate Cryptographic Services. Then, double-click on it.
- Now, set the Startup type to Automatic.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now use Windows search to launch Windows Powershell as administrator.
- Execute the following commands one by one:
Rename-Item -Path "C:\Windows\System32\catroot2" -NewName catroot2.old
Now restart your PC to see if the error This app has been blocked for your protection on Windows 11 has been eliminated.
8. Perform System Restore.
Last but not least, any changed settings may result in the error on your PC. If you’re having trouble opening an app that was accessible before, then this may be the case. Performing a system restore will bring all the settings back to their previous state and eliminate any errors that occurred afterward.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to fix This App Has Been Blocked for Your Protection on Windows 11. We hope you could benefit from any of the troubleshooting methods mentioned above. If you have any questions or queries regarding this topic, please ask us through the comment section. We will be happy to help!
If this guide helped you, please share it.