Are you trying to figure out why Hulu is not working on your Roku device?
Hulu is one of the most popular on-demand movie streaming services today. It is the closest competitor to Netflix, with various blockbuster shows in their media library. Hulu also offers Live TV services that allow users to watch shows from their favorite networks on the go.
The platform is also available on multiple devices, which gives users a variety of options on how they can watch their favorite shows.
However, all of this comes to waste if the app is not working on your device.
If you are here, Hulu is probably not working on your Roku device. This can be a problem if you are supposed to watch a show during your free time or have a scheduled movie night with your friends or family.
To help you out, we’ve decided to make a guide on how to fix Hulu if it is not working on your Roku device.
Let’s get started!
1. Check Hulu and Roku Servers.
This method is always present on our guides because it helps determine if the problem is with your device or the app. When you encounter errors on Hulu or other platforms, the first thing that should come to your mind is to check the status of its servers.
Since server related errors are not addressable on your end, it can save you some time tweaking your device, not knowing that the problem is with Hulu.
You can also check the status of Roku’s servers from there to see if the problem is with your device.
2. Try Watching Another Show.
If you are having difficulties watching a specific show on Hulu, go back to the media library and select a random movie or TV show. This way, you can determine if the problem is with the entire platform or isolated with specific shows.
If other titles on Hulu are playing without issues, go to the last method below to report the problem to Hulu’s customer support.
3. Check Roku Device Compatibility.
Given the number of Roku devices available on the market, not all of them were supported by Hulu. To check if your current Roku device is compatible with the Hulu app, visit the Help Center and refer to their list of supported devices.
If your device is unsupported, try using a web browser to access Hulu or get a new device if you want to use the app.
4. Re-Login to Your Hulu Account.
Unexpected issues may occur on the Hulu app, which can corrupt your user data. If this happens, you cannot use the app properly unless you stop your current session and reset your data.
Follow the guide below to reset your account data:
- First, open the Hulu app on your Roku device.
- After that, click on your Profile icon on the global navigation bar to access it.
- Lastly, select Log Out from the menu to stop your current session.
Once done, wait for 2-3 minutes before logging back into your Hulu account to reset your account data.
5. Check and Reset Your Internet.
Your network connection could also be the reason why Hulu is not working on your Roku device. The platform requires a minimum internet bandwidth of 3 Mbps to watch regular shows in the media library.
To check if your network meets the requirements, run a test using Fast.com to measure its current upload and download speed.
If the result shows that your connection is running slow, restart your router to re-establish the connection with your internet service provider’s servers.
Run another test after restarting your router to confirm if the problem is solved. If not, contact your ISP and let them know about the issue with their service. You can also consider upgrading your subscription if it is below the minimum speed required by Hulu.
6. Restart Your Roku Device.
A temporary error may have occurred on your Roku device that caused Hulu and other applications to malfunction. To fix this, simply restart your device to reload all of its resources and eliminate errors in the process.
Check out the guide below to restart your device:
- Access the home screen of your Roku device and open the Settings page.
- Next, click on System and select the System Restart option.
- Finally, click the Restart button and wait for your Roku device to reboot.
After restarting your device, go back to Hulu and try playing a few shows to check if the problem still occurs.
7. Clear Roku’s Cache and Data.
Like search browsers, Roku stores temporary data that is used to improve the performance of applications like Hulu. However, this data can get corrupted without any warnings and could cause various problems.
Check out the steps below to clear Roku’s cache and data:
- Open your Roku device and ensure that the Home tab is selected.
- Now, get the remote and press the Home button five times, followed by the Up button.
- After that, press the Rewind button twice.
- Finally, tap the Fast Forward button two times, and your Roku device should start clearing its cache and data.
Go back to Hulu afterwards and check if the problem is solved.
8. Update Your Roku Device
Roku devices need to be updated from time to time to ensure that all applications are up to date and errors are getting patched. If Hulu is not working on Roku, try to update your device to fix the issue.
Check out the steps below to update your device:
- First, open your Roku TV and go to its Settings page.
- Navigate to the System tab and choose Software Update.
- Lastly, click on Check Now and follow the on-screen prompts if there’s an available update for your device.
Open the Hulu app afterwards to check if it is now working correctly on your Roku device.
9. Reinstall the Hulu App.
If Hulu is still not working on your Roku device after the update, you can try reinstalling the app. Some of Hulu’s files may have gotten corrupted during a failed update or when the servers went down.
See the steps below to reinstall Hulu on your device:
- First, select the Hulu app from the main menu and press the Star/Asterisk button on your remote.
- After that, click on Remove Channel to delete Hulu.
- Turn off your Roku device afterwards and wait for one minute before turning it back on.
- Lastly, access the Roku Channel Store and reinstall Hulu.
Once done, log back into your Hulu account and check if the problem is solved.
10. Reset Your Roku Device.
You can reset your Roku device back to factory settings for your last resort if Hulu is still not working. Doing this will ensure that errors on your device will be eliminated and any changes made in the settings will revert to stock settings.
To reset your Roku device, follow the guide below to help you out:
- Open the Settings on your Roku device and navigate to the System tab.
- After that, select the Factory Reset option.
- Finally, follow the on-screen prompts to reset your device and wait for the process to finish.
Reinstall all the apps you need and try re-accessing Hulu to check if the problem would still occur.
11. Report the Problem to Hulu.
If the problem persists, we suggest that you visit the Help Center and get in touch with their customer support. Report the problem you’ve been experiencing with their platform and ask for assistance addressing the issue.
You can also browse the posts on Hulu’s Community page and see if you can find any answers from other users.
This brings us to the end of our guide on fixing Hulu if it is not working on your Roku device. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comment section below, and we’ll do our best to help you out.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂