Can’t figure out how to fix MacBook not showing on AirDrop?
The AirDrop feature in Apple devices is one of the most useful features for its users. It allows you to transfer any type of file, whether documents, pictures, or videos, from one Apple device to another over a specific distance.
However, it can be quite frustrating if your Macbook is not showing on AirDrop. This can be due to various reasons, such as device incompatibility or exceeding the AirDrop range. As the files are shared via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, a problem in either of these may hinder sharing of files.
Before diving into these troubleshooting fixes, ensure the problem exists in your Macbook. Try connecting your Mac with another device and check if it’s showing on AirDrop. If not, follow any of the methods mentioned below to fix the MacBook not showing on the AirDrop issue.
1. Re-enable Airdrop and Check its Discoverability Settings.
If your MacBook isn’t showing up on AirDrop, check if AirDrop is enabled on both of your devices. If it’s already on, disable it and turn it back on to give it a fresh start.
Discoverability issues may also arise due to any temporary glitches within the system. In such cases, re-enable AirDrop. Furthermore, ensure that your MacBook is visible to everyone, and not just to your contacts list, by changing the discoverability settings.
Here’s how to do it:
- Start by going to the Control Center from your Mac.
- Next, click on Airdrop to turn it on.
- Now, select Everyone from the given options.
Alternatively, you may:
- Launch Finder on your Mac.
- From the sidebar, select AirDrop.
- After that, click on Allow me to be discovered by Contacts only to expand it.
- Finally, select Everyone.
Once you’re done transferring files via AirDrop, change the discoverability settings back to Contacts only for privacy reasons.
2. Ensure Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are Turned On.
For AirDrop to work, both the sender and receiver ends have to ensure that their Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections are enabled. Bluetooth is needed to find other devices within your vicinity, and Wi-Fi allows you to share your files.
So, if you cannot see your MacBook in the AirDrop window, ensure that you have turned on both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Remember that you don’t need to connect to an active internet connection but only have to turn on Wi-Fi on your Mac. Here’s how:
- Go to the Control Center on your Mac.
- Now, click on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to turn them on.
3. Check Device Compatibility.
AirDrop has certain requirements that both devices have to meet to utilize this feature. AirDrop is compatible with Mac released in 2012 or later models, while your MacBook must be running on macOS X Yosemite or later versions.
Here’s how to check if your device is compatible with AirDrop:
- Head to the Apple menu.
- Select About This Mac to view Mac’s specifications.
If your Mac falls under the compatibility requirements but still not showing on the AirDrop window, the issue might be with the other Apple device. Although AirDrop is compatible with iPhones, iPads, and iPods running on iOS 7 or later versions, check your device’s specifications and update its software version if necessary.
4. Move Devices Closer and Keep Them Awake.
If the devices are at a distance of more than 30 feet from each other, it may be one of the reasons for the MacBook not showing on AirDrop. This is because the device needs to be in close proximity, under 30 feet, for AirDrop to work properly. So, bring the device closer to your Mac or vice versa and try again.
Moreover, the devices have to be awake for AirDrop to function. This means that if your Mac is asleep or your other device is locked, the AirDrop feature won’t work. Therefore, ensure that your device is unlocked and awake at all times while transferring files.
5. Disable Focus Mode.
Although an extremely useful feature, Focus is reported to interfere with the AirDrop’s discoverability and result in MacBook not showing on the AirDrop issue. Hence, it’s recommended that you disable the Focus mode while enabling AirDrop.
Follow the steps below to do it:
- Head over to the Control Center.
- Then, select Disable to turn it off.
6. Check Firewall Settings.
Your MacBook’s active Firewall connection can block AirDrop requests. So, this may be one of the reasons behind the MacBook not showing on AirDrop. To resolve it, change Firewall settings to unblock all incoming connections.
- Select the Apple menu and click on System Preferences.
- After that, choose Security & Privacy.
- Now, go to the Firewall tab from the top.
- From the lower-left corner, click on the Lock icon and provide your passcode to unlock the Security & Privacy settings.
- Then, click on Firewall options.
- Lastly, uncheck the box next to Block all incoming connections and select OK.
7. Restart Your Mac.
An effective method for several issues on Mac is to reboot your device. This will eliminate any temporary glitches within your device and fix the MacBook not showing the AirDrop problem.
Here are the steps you must follow:
- Go to the Apple logo from the top bar and click on it.
- Then, select Restart from the list of options to reboot your Mac.
Moreover, restart your other device so that your Mac’s AirDrop visibility issue is resolved.
8. Update macOS.
Apple occasionally releases patch updates to introduce new features and fix various bugs. So, if your MacBook is not showing on AirDrop, we suggest you update your macOS to the latest build to solve this issue.
- Click on the Apple menu.
- Then, select System Preferences.
- From there, click on Software Update.
- If there is any pending update, click on Upgrade Now.
9. Reset Bluetooth on Mac.
Any problem with your MacBook’s Bluetooth will ultimately lead to AirDrop malfunctions, such as the MacBook not showing on AirDrop. To fix it, consider resetting your Mac’s Bluetooth and see if this solves your problem.
Follow the instructions below to do it:
- Click on Finder.
- Then, go to Applications from the left pane.
- Select Utilities.
- After that, double-click on Terminal.
- Copy and paste the following command:
sudo pkill bluetoothd
- Next, type in your Mac’s password and press the Enter key.
This is it! We hope that you’ve been successful in fixing your MacBook not showing on AirDrop by following the methods from this guide. If you have any confusion or query, use the comment section below. We’ll be more than happy to provide further assistance on the matter.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 😊