Having a hard time driving because Maps on your iPhone is not showing the direction arrow?
The Maps app on your iPhone can be a great alternative to Waze or Google Maps.
Despite it being preloaded to your iPhone, issues might still arise while using the app.
One common issue with Maps is the missing direction arrow. This can cause you to miss exits, enter one-way streets, or simply go in the wrong direction.
Various reasons can cause the missing direction arrow on the Maps app.
Today, we’ll show you what to do if the direction arrow is not showing in the Maps app on your iPhone.
1. Restart Your iPhone.
You can try restarting your iPhone if an app or software is not working properly. This should ensure that necessary resources are initialized properly.
Restarting your iPhone will also clear corrupted data from the memory, resolving errors that occurred during use.
If you are using an iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, 14, or later, here’s what you need to do:
- Hold down the Volume Down button and Side button until the ‘Slide to Power Off’ prompt appears.
- Now, drag the slider to the right and wait for 30 seconds.
- Press the Side button afterward to turn on your device.
For older models, follow the steps below:
- Locate the Power button on your device.
- Now, hold the button until the ‘Slide to Power Off’ prompt shows up.
- Drag the slider to the right and wait 30 seconds before turning on your device.
Try using Maps again to check if the problem is solved.
2. Turn Off Low Power Mode.
Low Power mode tweaks your iPhone’s power management so it uses less battery.
However, this feature can disable sensors needed by navigation apps to precisely track your location.
To avoid problems, disable Low Power mode when using Maps.
- Launch Settings on your iPhone.
- Now, scroll down and tap on Battery.
- Find Low Power Mode and tap the toggle switch to disable it.
The battery indicator in the upper right corner of your screen should turn Green/Red (depending on charge levels) when low power mode is disabled.
Relaunch Maps and see if you can now see the direction arrow while navigating.
3. Update Your iPhone.
We recommend checking for software updates if preloaded apps like Maps are not working on your iPhone.
This ensures nothing is wrong with your iPhone’s software and applications.
Here’s how you can update your device:
- Launch Settings on your device.
- Now, tap on General > Software Update.
- If there’s an available update, tap on Download and Install.
- Your device can restart several times while installing the update.
- Make sure that your iPhone has at least 50% battery before installing updates. It’s best to keep your device plugged into the wall charger to avoid interruptions.
- Allow at least 15 minutes for the update to install, especially if it’s a major update (iOS 14 to iOS 15).
Go back to Maps afterward to check if the problem is solved.
4. Allow Maps to Use Location Services.
Like any navigation app, Maps needs access to location services to work. Check your iPhone’s configuration and ensure that Maps is allowed to use your location.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on Maps.
- Access the Location tab.
- Under Allow Location Access, select While Using the App.
Once done, restart Maps and check if the direction arrow is now showing.
5. Enable Compass Calibration.
Compass is among the key components needed by Maps to function properly.
If you are facing issues, you need to calibrate your iPhone’s compass to ensure it points in the right direction.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on Privacy & Security > Location Services.
- Now, scroll down and open the System Services tab.
- Find Compass Calibration and enable it.
Restart your iPhone afterward and check if the problem is solved.
Head to the next solution if the direction arrow is still not showing in the Maps app.
6. Use Precise Location.
Another way to resolve this problem is to use precise location. This feature allows applications to track the exact location and movement of your iPhone.
See the steps below to enable precise location:
- Launch Settings on your iPhone.
- Now, scroll down and tap on Maps.
- Go to Location.
- Find Precise Location and tap the toggle switch beside it.
A green indicator will appear on the toggle switch once Precise Location is enabled.
Try using Maps to navigate to check if the problem is solved.
7. Reset iPhone Settings.
You can also try resetting your iPhone’s settings if you still encounter problems with Maps.
This will roll back any changes from your iPhone’s factory settings, ensuring no conflicts with your configurations.
Check out the steps below to reset your iPhone:
- On your iPhone, go to the main menu and open Settings.
- Now, tap on General.
- Look for Transfer or Reset iPhone and tap on it.
- Tap the Reset option and select Reset All Settings.
- Follow the prompts to continue.
- Your iPhone will immediately restart upon resetting your configurations.
- It may appear to be stuck in the Apple logo. Wait for the process to complete, which usually takes 5 to 10 minutes.
Relaunch Maps and check if the problem is solved.
8. Use Alternatives.
If the direction arrow is still not showing in Maps, we suggest using other navigation apps in the meantime.
A recent software update might have caused issues with the Maps app, explaining why it is not working properly.
Try using Waze or Google Maps if you are not familiar with the place you’re going.
Check for software updates from time to time so you can get the patch once Apple gets everything sorted.
9. Visit the Apple Store.
If none of the solutions above worked, we suggest bringing your iPhone to the nearest Apple Store.
There might be a problem with your iPhone, and some sensors need to be replaced.
You can check if your iPhone is still covered by warranty before visiting the store to know your repair options.
If you had your iPhone for less than 14 days, you can ask for a replacement unit or refund instead of getting parts replaced.
That ends our guide on what to do if the direction arrow is not showing in the Maps app on your iPhone.
For your questions and other concerns, drop a comment below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.