Wondering how to fix the slow download issue in the Microsoft Store?
Being one of the most essential applications in Windows, Microsoft Store provides users with access to their favourite software. This digital distribution platform hosts a wide range of applications from almost every category.
Unfortunately, it is common for users to experience errors while using the Microsoft Store. One of the most frustrating yet frequent problems users face is the slow download error. As the name suggests, this issue prevents users from swiftly installing or updating apps.
The slow download issue can be caused due to several reasons. Some of the most common reasons behind this issue are as follows:
- Windows store glitch.
- Corrupt Windows Store files.
- Corrupt Windows Store caches.
- Interference of antivirus.
If you have been facing the slow download issue, we got you covered. This guide will walk you through the process of fixing the slow download issue in the Microsoft Store in detail.
Let’s get started.
- 1. Run the Windows Troubleshooter.
- 2. Sign Out and Sign Back In.
- 3. Reset the Microsoft Store.
- 4. Remove the Download Speed Cap.
- 5. Install Windows Update.
- 6. Clear the Windows Store Cache.
- 7. Disable the Antivirus.
- 8. Pause Other Downloads.
1. Run the Windows Troubleshooter.
The WindowsTroubleshooter is an effective built-in tool that scans for issues within the system and fixes them automatically. If you have been facing a slow download issue, we recommend running the Windows troubleshooter before moving to other steps. It will fix most of the Microsoft store related errors in no time.
To run the Windows Troubleshooter, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press Windows + I keys simultaneously to open the Settings application.
- Select Update and Security and click Troubleshoot on the left panel.
- Now scroll down and select the Windows Store Apps option.
- Click on Run the troubleshooter to begin the process.
- If the troubleshooter finds errors and suggests fixes, follow the on-screen instructions to fix the error.
- Once the operation is complete, restart your PC and see if the error has been resolved.
Hopefully, doing so will fix the underlying issues with the Microsoft Store. You should now be able to download apps without any issue.
2. Sign Out and Sign Back In.
Another easy yet effective solution to fix Microsoft Store download issues is signing out of Microsoft Store and then signing back in. If you have multiple Gmail accounts, you can also try switching to another account on the Microsoft Store.
To sign out and sign back in the Microsoft Store, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the Microsoft Store and click on the User icon at the top-right corner of the window.
- Select your username, and click on Sign out.
- Once you are logged out of the Microsoft Store, click on the User icon and select Sign in to log in again.
- Finally, enter your credentials and try downloading an application now.
If a corruption error in your account was causing the issue, following the steps mentioned above will solve it. If the error persists, see the next methods mentioned below.
3. Reset the Microsoft Store.
Resetting the Microsoft Store will clear all the caches and bring the application back to its initial state. This will resolve all issues within the application. However, it is essential to keep in mind that you might lose some settings and preferences that you have made on the Microsoft Store.
To reset the Microsoft Store, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Type Apps and features in the search bar and click on Open to launch the application.
- Scroll down to find Microsoft Store.
- Once found, click on Microsoft Store and choose Advanced Option.
- Click on Reset and select Reset again to confirm.
- This process might take a few minutes to complete. Once the process is complete, open the Microsoft Store app again and enter your credentials to log in. Try downloading an app to check if the issue is resolved.
Resetting the Microsoft Store will delete the app’s data permanently and resolve the corruption errors within the application.
4. Remove the Download Speed Cap.
A download speed cap or a bandwidth cap is a restriction set by the service providers. When an internet service provider sets a download speed cap, they limit the amount of data which can be downloaded via internet connection.
If your download speed is capped, it will restrict the Microsoft Store from downloading apps after a certain limit is reached.
To disable the download speed cap, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press Windows + R keys simultaneously to open a Run dialogue box.
- Type ‘ms-settings:windowsupdate’ in the Run dialogue box and click OK.
- Select Advanced Options and click on Delivery Optimization under the Choose when updates are installed option.
- Enable the Allow downloads from other PCs option and click on Advanced options.
- Push the slider to 100% under the Download Settings.
That’s it. This would remove the data limit, and hopefully, you would be able to download apps without any issues.
5. Install Windows Updates.
Updating your Windows to the latest version can fix bugs and resolve the issues within the system. If you have a pending Windows update, we suggest downloading it to resolve the issue.
To update your Windows to the latest version, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press Windows + I keys simultaneously to open the Settings application.
- Select Update and Security and click on Windows Update.
- Now click on Check for Updates and follow the on-screen instructions to install the pending updates.
- Once the installation is complete, restart your PC and check if the issue is resolved.
Windows updates are packed with new features and bug fixes, so installing an update shall solve the slow download issue in your PC.
6. Clear the Windows Store Cache.
A cache is a set of temporary files that are likely to be reused by a program. Using a cache makes it easier for the system to retrieve data. However, sometimes, it can cause errors in the system and slow down the performance of your PC, which is why clearing cache is essential.
To clear the Windows Store cache, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Type Command Prompt in the search bar and click on Run as administrator to launch elevated Command Prompt.
- Type the command mentioned below in the elevated Command Prompt and hit Enter to execute it.
- Once the process is complete, restart your PC and check if the error is resolved.
Clearing the Windows Store cache will improve the overall speed of the application and fix the errors. We suggest clearing cache from time to time to maintain the smooth performance of your PC.
7. Disable the Antivirus.
If you are using a third-party scanner or Windows Defender on your PC, then try disabling it temporarily. Antivirus software runs in the background to scan applications and programs on your PC. It uses the internet to scan your search results and then compares them with its database of known threats. While this process is essential to protect your PC from viruses, it can slow down your computer’s speed.
If you have been facing a slow download issue while using Microsoft Store, try disabling the antivirus. This will stop the antivirus program from using internet resources to perform scans. As a result, you will be able to download apps without any issues.
To disable the antivirus, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Type Settings in the search bar and click Open to launch the application.
- Select Updates and Security and click on Windows Security.
- Under the Protection areas, click on Virus and threat protection.
- Now go to Manage settings and turn off Real-time protection.
That’s it. Now try downloading the app from Microsoft Store again. You can turn Real-time protection back on once the app is downloaded as it protects the system from malware.
8. Pause Other Downloads.
Another simple way to fix the Microsoft Store slow download issue is to pause all the other active downloads on your PC. Multiple active downloads can slow the downloading speed, and that may explain why you cannot download apps from the Microsoft Store.
Try pausing all the other downloads before downloading apps from Microsoft Store. Once the app is downloaded, you can resume the other downloads.
This brings us to the end of our guide on fixing Microsoft Store slow download issues. We hope our solutions helped you solve the error in your PC. If you still have any confusion, please let us know in the comment section below.
If this guide helped you, please share it.