Want to remove Recommended from Start Menu on Windows 11?
Like most features, Windows 11 also introduced a new minimalistic look for the Start Menu. Not just that, it also has pinned programs and a separate Recommended section that makes recently opened documents and applications conveniently accessible with only a single click.
Although the Recommendation feature prevents you from digging in your files to open a particular document, it gives away a little privacy to other people using the same computer. Some also find it unnecessary and would prefer using the space for more pinned programs.
That is why Microsoft also has embedded settings in its system to get rid of the feature if you don’t want it. Lucky for you, this article will guide you through the various methods to disable or remove Recommended from Start Menu on Windows 11.
So what’s the wait for? Let’s get started!
1. Disable Recommendations From Settings.
Whenever you want to enable or disable a certain feature on your computer, the Windows Settings app is the first place to look. The Recommended section can also be disabled from these settings. But keep in mind that the feature will only be turned off, and the section will still have its dedicated space in the Start Menu.
Here’s how to do it:
- Head to Settings by pressing Win + i keys on your keyboard.
- After that, click on Personalization from the left pane.
- From the right pane, choose Start.
- Then, turn the toggle off for Show recently opened items in Start, Jump Lists, and File Explorer.
- Also, turn off the toggle next to Show recently added apps.
After that, go to the Start menu, and you should see that no app or item is under the Recommended section.
2. Disable Recommendations From Group Policy Editor.
Another method you can follow to disable the Start Menu Recommended feature on Windows 11 is to head over to the Group Policy Editor. It is an administration tool that manages the configuration of almost all settings and controls the user’s working experience.
So if you’re facing trouble with the Settings app or simply don’t prefer using it, disable Recommendations from the Group Policy Editor instead. In fact, if you use Windows 11 SE, we advise you to choose this method.
Below are the steps you need to follow:
- Start by launching the Run command box by pressing Win + R keys.
- Next, type in ‘gpedit.msc’ and click on OK to launch the Group Policy Editor.
- Now, navigate to the following path:
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar
- Look for Remove Recommended section from Start Menu, right-click on it and choose Edit.
- From the new window that appears, click on Enabled.
- Then, select Apply and finally, click on OK to save these changes.
Once done, restart your computer and check if this removed the Recommended items from the Start menu.
3. Remove Individual Recommendations.
If you don’t have any problem with default Recommendations on the Start Menu but prefer specific programs or files to be removed from the section, this method is for you. Windows 11 allows its users to selectively get rid of unwanted items in the Recommended section too.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Launch the Start menu.
- Then, right-click on an app under the Recommended section.
- Finally, choose Remove from list.
In case you have many apps under the Recommended section, perform these steps:
- Go to the Start menu and click on the More option from the right corner of the screen.
- From the list that appears, right-click on the apps you wish to remove and select the Remove from list option.
5. Remove Recommended With Explorer Patcher.
For some users, the Recommended section is entirely useless, and they prefer using that space for more pinned applications to use them as shortcuts. In this case, you need a way to remove Recommended from Start Menu on Windows 11 completely. Luckily, there’s a way you can do that too.
Explorer Patcher is a free third-party tool to restore a productive working environment on systems running Windows 11. The application can be used to change the user interface, Ungroup Icons in Taskbar on Windows 11, and so much more. You can also remove Recommended using this tool.
- Download the latest version of Explorer Patch from GitHub.
- Next, run the Explorer Patch program and check whether it changes your Windows 11 taskbar to a Windows 10 taskbar.
- If it does, right-click on the taskbar and choose Properties.
- From the left pane, click on the Start menu.
- Turn on the toggle next to Disable the “Recommended” section.
- Lastly, click on Restart File Explorer from the bottom-right corner.
This will remove Recommended from the Start menu on Windows 11. You may check by heading to the Start menu.
5. Add More Pins on Windows 11 Dev Build.
If your PC is running the Windows 11 Dev Build 22509 or later, there are several hidden features for you to explore, and shrinking the Recommended section to make more room for the pinned applications is one of them.
As mentioned, this option is currently only for the Insider on the Dev channel, but hopefully, it will make its way to the Stable channel soon. Moreover, you can switch between the different layouts at any time.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to Settings by pressing Win + i keys on your keyboard.
- Click on Personalization from the left pane.
- Select Start from the right pane.
- Under the Layout section, click on More pins.
- Head back to the Start menu. You will notice that there’s only one row available for the Recommended section now since more Pinned rows have been added.
This sums up our guide on how to remove Recommended from Start Menu on Windows 11. In case of further queries or confusion, feel free to utilize the comments section below. We’ll be more than happy to assist you further.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 😊