Scrivener not responding on Windows 10, and you don’t know what to do?
For writers out there, Scrivener needs no introduction, as it is a popular app designed for writers of all types. From creative to academic writers, researchers, students, and more, the app provides multiple tools to cater to all kinds of needs.
However, it is not immune to some basic errors, and you may face issues like Scrivener not responding on Windows. For the most part, such errors are caused by compatibility problems or issues within the app itself.
Now, we understand that many would despise looking for Scrivener alternatives, so we bring you this guide. Below are discussed some of the most effective solutions that got Scrivener back to work for numerous users. You can go through them as well to resolve Scrivener not responding on Windows 10.
So without further delay, let’s jump straight in!
1. Run the Compatibility Troubleshooter.
Windows features several in-built troubleshooters to deal with problematic apps and services. The utility is meant to diagnose an issue and resolve it automatically. At times, it may even guide you through the necessary steps to eliminate the error.
As mentioned above, Scrivener not responding on Windows 10 is usually a compatibility problem. To deal with this, Windows has its related built-in troubleshooter as well that will automatically detect and fix the compatibility issue you’re facing.
Use the steps below to run the utility on your computer:
- Locate the Scrivener app on your desktop and right-click on it.
- Next, choose Troubleshoot Compatibility.
- Now, wait for the troubleshooter to detect any problem.
- From the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter window, select Try recommended settings.
After you’re done, check if the Scrivener app is responding on your PC. If not, consider modifying the compatibility settings by following the steps mentioned in the next method.
2. Modify the Compatibility Settings.
If running the troubleshooter doesn’t fix the issue, you can manually run the Scrivener app in Compatibility mode. It emulates an older processor to allow an older version of the app and remains supported by your Windows operating system or its hardware platform.
You can enter this mode for Scrivener through its settings. Follow the steps below to do it:
- Start by finding the Scrivener app on your PC’s desktop.
- Next, click on Properties.
- After that, go to the Compatibility tab.
- Now, check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for the option.
- Try running the app with other compatible Windows versions.
- Lastly, select OK and click on Apply to confirm the changes.
This should fix the Scrivener not responding on Windows 10 error.
3. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.
If the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package encounters an error, it will result in the Scrivener not responding on Windows 10 issue. The MSCV package is mandatory for programs developed by the Visual Studio runtime library. If it’s corrupted, the only option left for you is to delete and reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable. Then, see if that resolves the issue.
To follow this method, use the steps below:
- Press the Win + R keys from your keyboard to access the Run dialog box.
- Type in ‘control panel’ in the text field and click on OK.
- Once the Control Panel window launches, click on Programs and Features.
- Next, look for Microsoft Visual C++Redistributable and right-click on it.
- Select Reinstall. Uninstall all Microsoft Visual C++ package components by using these steps.
- After that, click on the Start menu and type ‘command prompt’ in the search bar.
- From the results, select Run as administrator from the left pane of Command Prompt.
- Copy and paste the following commands and press the Enter key after each:
Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth
- Once the commands are executed, reboot your PC.
- Now, head to the official Microsoft page for Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.
- Click on the downloading link for the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.
- Once the program is downloaded, double-click on the downloaded file, then follow the on-screen instructions to install it to your PC.
- Finally, restart your computer and check to see if the problem has been resolved.
4. Reinstall Scrivener.
If you’ve been experiencing the Scrivener not responding on Windows 10 issue since you installed it on your computer, the problem might have occurred during the installation process.
Sometimes, this process may get interrupted or corrupted. When that happens, the application will get downloaded but will fail to launch or work properly. It’s also possible that you started encountering the issue recently due to a bug in the app’s software.
You can resolve both these issues by deleting and reinstalling a fresh copy of the application. Here’s what you must do:
- Start by going to the Windows Settings by pressing Win + i keys from your keyboard.
- From the left pane, click on Apps and go to Apps & Features.
- Now, look for the Scrivener app by scrolling or searching it in the search bar.
- Click on the Scrivener app and choose Uninstall.
- From the confirmation prompt, select Uninstall again.
- To reinstall the app, head to the official Scrivener website.
- Then, download the Setup file and run it once downloaded.
- Click on Next to proceed.
- Click on I accept the agreement and select Next.
- Afterward, choose where you want to install Scrivener and click on the Next button.
- Select Next from the Read to Install screen to install the Scrivener app.
- Once the download has been completed, click on Finish.
Once you’ve reinstalled the app, check if you’re still receiving the Scrivener not responding on Windows 10 error.
5. Contact Scrivener Support.
When none of the methods explained above works, the problem could lie on the other end. If that’s the case, you can visit the Scrivener Support page and report the issue to their official team. They will look into the matter and eliminate the bug that’s been causing Scrivener not responding on Windows 10.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to fix Scrivener not responding on Windows 10. If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to deliver them to us via the comment section below. We’ll reply to you as soon as possible.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 😊