Want to set Slack status using Apple Shortcuts in iOS easily?
If you’re a frequent Slack user, you must understand the importance of keeping your status updated. This doesn’t only help in letting your colleagues know about your whereabouts and availability but also balances your workflow.
While Slack offers built-in features to enable you to set a status, you’d want to discover an easy way that can do the job for you in just a couple of taps. Although several third-party applications are offering you this service, they’re not the very best options to go with.
Fortunately, Apple released Shortcuts in iOS 12 that lets you excellently manage your workflow through automating tasks. The software not only utilizes the built-in app integrations but also allows you to invoke the features of third-party apps. In this guide, we’ll be covering how to make use of Apple Shortcuts to update Slack status regularly.
So without further ado, let’s get right on it!
1. Install the Shortcuts App.
If you’re going to set Slack status using Apple Shortcuts in iOS, you’ll obviously need to install the application on your iPhone first. Shortcuts come pre-installed when you purchase an iPhone, but many users remove it when it’s not in use.
Here’s how to bring back the app on your device:
- Launch the App Store from your Home Screen.
- Then, go to the Search tab at the bottom.
- Now, tap on the Search bar, type ‘shortcuts’ and tap on the Search button.
- Finally, tap on the Install icon next to the Shortcuts app.
After that, you’ll need to configure the shortcut for changing the Slack status. Keep in mind that even though you’ll be able to set your Slack status conveniently, the initial setup is a bit time-consuming and requires effort.
2. Install Connect Blueprint App.
To set Slack status using Apple Shortcuts in iOS, you’ll need to provide access to your Slack login credentials. For that reason, installing Connect Blueprint on your device is mandatory. The developer of the shortcut recommends installing this application since it is through this method that makes linking your Slack account a lot easier.
Here’s how to do it:
- Unlock your iOS device and go to the App Store.
- Once there, tap on the Search tab at the bottom.
- Next, tap on the Search bar and type ‘connect blueprint’.
- After that, tap on the Get button next to the application to install it.
3. Link Your Slack Account to the Connect Blueprint App.
After installing the Connect Blueprint app on your iOS device, it’s time to connect your Slack account with it. To do so, follow the step-by-step instructions mentioned below:
- Once installed, launch the Connect Blueprint application from your Home Screen.
- From the main interface, tap on the connect option next to Slack.
- Next, tap on Connect (OAuth) next to the Blueprint option.
- This will take you to Safari or any other browser you’ve set as default and launch the Slack Sign in to your workspace page. You are required to type in the URL for your workspace then tap on the Continue button.
- Then, sign in to your Slack account with your Gmail account, Apple ID, or personal email.
- On the next screen, tap on Allow to grant Connect Blueprint permission to access your Slack account.
- After that, a pop-up box will appear on your screen. Tap Open to be prompted to the Connect Blueprint app.
- Once the app launches, you will now see the Disconnect option next to Bluetooth, indicating that your Slack account is successfully linked.
4. Add the Set Slack Status Shortcut in Apple Shortcuts.
After you’ve linked your Slack account to the required application, you’re all ready to set up the shortcut on your iOS device. After that, you’ll realize that setting Slack status has never been so easy.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Firstly, you need to launch the Set Slack Status shortcut in the Shortcuts app.
- Now, tap on the Set Up Shortcut to install the shortcut on your device.
- Then, you’ll see the Configure This Shortcut screen. By default, it will be set to Coffee Break. Type the preferred message and tap on Next to proceed.
- Next, you’re required to add a second option as a status. By default, you will see Out for lunch. When done, tap on the Add Shortcut button at the bottom.
This will successfully add Set Slack Status on Apple Shortcuts. You can refer back to it by tapping on My Shortcuts from the tabs at the bottom while in the Shortcuts application.
5. Add the Set Slack Status Shortcut as Widget.
Widgets are a fairly new feature for iOS devices. They can be added to your Home Screen for a quick way to access information or perform tasks without needing to launch the application first.
While widgets could be created for applications, Apple has also made it possible for users to access the shortcuts in an effortless manner. If you want to set Slack status using Apple Shortcuts in iOS in an instant, adding the shortcut’s widget is a great option.
Here’s how to do it:
- To start, long-press on the Home Screen until the applications begin to wiggle.
- Next, tap on the ‘+’ icon at the top right corner of your screen.
- Now, either tap on the Search bar and type ‘shortcuts’ or scroll through the apps and select Shortcuts.
- Lastly, tap on the Add Widget button for Set Slack Status to bring its widget to your Home Screen.
6. Set Slack Status Using Apple Shortcuts in iOS.
After configuring the Set Slack Status shortcut and the Connect Blueprint app, you can quickly change Slack status with only a few taps. Now you have the option to either choose from the two statuses you set earlier while adding the shortcut or create a custom one.
Follow the steps below to set a preset Slack status:
- Start by tapping on the Set Slack Status shortcut widget from your Home Screen. If you haven’t done that, you can open the shortcut by going to the Shortcuts app.
- From the next prompt, choose any of the two preset options under Select a status.
- Then, a prompt will pop up on your screen requesting permission for Set Slack Status to access the Blueprint app. Tap on Allow to proceed.
- By doing so, your Slack status will be changed. To make sure, launch the Slack app and tap on the You from the tab from the bottom. Your new status will appear under your profile name.
To set a custom status, here’s what you need to do:
- First, tap on the Set Slack Status widget or shortcut.
- A prompt will show up after that. Choose Custom status from the available options.
- If you don’t want to have any status on your Slack account at the moment, tap on Clear status.
- Next, tap on the emoji you’d like to go with your preferred status.
- Finally, type the status and tap on Done.
- To ensure the changes have been applied, go to the Slack app and tap the You tab from the bottom. The new custom status will appear under your profile name.
And that’s it! You’ve now successfully learned how to set Slack status using Apple Shortcuts in iOS. If you’re still confused, reach out to us through the comment section below. We’ll be happy to assist you further.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂