Do you see a ‘Something went wrong’ error on Disney Plus?
Disney Plus is an on-demand movie streaming service offered by The Walt Disney Company Inc to make their shows accessible online. The platform is subscription-based and is currently available in limited regions.
Disney Plus can be accessed using a dedicated app or browser, and its interface is straightforward. Basically, you pick a movie you like, press the play button, and enjoy the show.
However, if you are here, you probably see a ‘Something went wrong’ error on Disney Plus when playing a movie or browsing their library.
This problem is common on the platform and is usually caused by faulty servers or corrupted files. Other factors such as outdated software, incompatible devices, and network connection issues could also be the culprit.
Given the number of angles to look into, troubleshooting can take a while, and you may not be able to enjoy your favorite shows.
Lucky for you, we’re here to lend a helping hand.
In this guide, we’re going to show you the best ways to fix the ‘Something went wrong’ error on Disney Plus.
Let’s get right into it!
1. Check Disney Plus Servers.
Before making any changes to your device or account, you should verify first if the problem is with Disney Plus or your end. To do this, you can use third-party tools like Downdetector to check the current status of Disney Plus servers.
You can also view the past issues that the platform has encountered on the website.
If the servers are down, the best thing to do is wait for Disney to address the problem. However, you can still do the rest of the methods below and hope that one of them works out.
2. Test By Watching Another Show.
If you see the ‘Something went wrong’ error on Disney Plus when playing a title, consider picking another show on the library. Some shows on the platform can encounter unexpected problems and become unplayable for a certain period.
Pick a random movie or TV show on Disney Plus and check if it will play without any error messages.
If the error message occurs on a particular title, head to the last method below to report the issue to Disney Plus.
3. Check If Your Device Is Supported.
Although Disney Plus is available to many operating systems, not all devices are supported, which can cause problems if you run the application on them. Visit Disney Plus’ Help Center and verify if the platform supports your current device.
If you are using an unsupported device, consider getting a new one compatible with Disney Plus or using a browser to access the platform.
4. Lower the Stream Quality.
Another reason for the ‘Something went wrong’ error on Disney Plus is your internet speed. The platform requires a specific bandwidth to play HD or 4K shows on the platform. If your network doesn’t meet those requirements, playback issues may occur while watching a movie or TV show.
To fix this, lower the stream quality on the app to reduce your network’s load. Follow the steps below to adjust the playback quality on Disney Plus:
- On the Disney Plus app, tap on your Avatar located at the bottom navigation bar.
- Now, tap on App Settings.
- After that, open the Wi-Fi Data Usage tab and change the settings to Save Data. Do the same thing for Cellular Data Usage.
- Lastly, go to Downloads and change the Video Quality to Standard or Medium.
Once done, restart the Disney Plus app and try playing another movie or TV show.
5. Re-Login to Your Account.
Random bugs and glitches that occur on Disney Plus can cause your user data to be corrupted. If this happens, unexpected error messages can appear on your current session.
To fix this, you need to sign out of your Disney Plus account and log back in afterward to reload your user data.
On Android and iOS, follow the guide below to sign out of your Disney Plus account:
- On your device, open the Disney Plus app.
- Now, tap on your Avatar to access your Profile.
- Finally, tap on Log Out.
For browsers, you can sign out of your Disney Plus account by doing the following:
- First, open the Disney Plus website using your preferred browser.
- After that, hover the mouse cursor to your Avatar.
- Lastly, click on Log Out.
If you are using other devices, check out the steps below to log out of your account:
- Access the Disney Plus website using a web browser.
- Next, point the cursor to your Avatar to view the drop-down menu.
- After that, click on the Account tab.
- Finally, click on Log Out of All Devices to sign out of your account.
After signing out of your Disney Plus account, wait for 2 to 3 minutes before logging back in. Use the app for several minutes to check if the error message would still occur.
6. Check and Reset Your Internet.
A slow internet connection could also be the reason Disney Plus is not working correctly on your device. To use the platform without issues, a minimum internet speed of 5 Mbps is required. Run a test on your network using Fast.com to measure its current upload and download speed.
If the result shows that your network is running slow, restart your router to re-establish the link between the router and your service provider. Unplug your router’s power cable from the outlet for at least 10 seconds and plug it back in afterward.
Once done, re-run the test to confirm if the restart fixed the problem. Contact your ISP if your network continues to run slow and ask them to improve their service.
You can also arrange for a plan upgrade if your current subscription is below the required bandwidth of Disney Plus.
7. Turn Off VPN.
VPNs are third-party applications that provide security over your local network and give you unrestricted access to the internet. They work by making changes to your default IP address and filtering the data in and out of your device.
However, not all VPNs do this process efficiently and could cause instability and interruptions to your network connection. As a result, your device won’t be able to communicate with Disney Plus properly, explaining the ‘Something went wrong’ error message.
To fix this, turn off any VPN service you have before accessing Disney Plus.
On the other hand, you can also switch to other services like PureVPN. Unlike other VPNs, it keeps your network connection stable and works well with most applications.
8. Clear Your Browser Cache and Cookies.
Search browsers store temporary data on your device, which are called caches and cookies. Your browser uses this data to improve its performance and speed up the website’s loading times.
Unfortunately, caches and cookies accumulate over time and get corrupted. If you experience problems on the websites you visit, clear your browsing data to eliminate corrupted files.
Check out the guide below to clear your browser’s caches and cookies:
- On your browser, click on the Options button beside your Profile icon.
- After that, click on Settings and go to Privacy and Security.
- Now, select Clear Browsing Data.
- Change the target Time Range to All Time and include caches and cookies in the clearing process.
- Lastly, hit the Clear Data button to start removing corrupted data on your browser.
Once done, re-login to your Disney Plus account and check if the error message is fixed.
9. Run Malwarebytes.
Viruses and malware could also be why the ‘Something went wrong’ error on Disney Plus occurs. Viruses consume your device’s system resources, which can negatively affect its performance and its applications.
If you feel your device is infected, download Malwarebytes and use its full system scan feature.
This will allow the tool to search your entire directory for infected files and remove them automatically.
10. Clear Disney Plus App Data (Android).
If you see the ‘Something went wrong’ error on the Disney Plus app for Android, some of its data may have gotten corrupted. Application data contains your account details, the shows you’ve been watching, and other vital information that helps the app function as it should.
To fix this, follow the steps below to clear Disney Plus’ app data:
- First, go to your application drawer and open the Settings app.
- Next, tap on the Apps tab and select Disney Plus.
- After that, access the Storage tab.
- Lastly, tap the Clear Data button to start the process.
After clearing Disney Plus’ app data, re-access your account and check if the error message would still occur.
11. Update Disney Plus.
Updates are an integral part of any application, which keeps them optimized for most devices and patches any errors that may have occurred. If you encounter unexpected error messages on Disney Plus, try to update the app to fix the problem.
On Android, see the steps below to update Disney Plus:
- On your device, access the app drawer and tap on Google Play Store.
- Next, open the side menu by tapping the Menu button inside the search bar.
- After that, tap on My Apps & Games.
- Finally, tap the Update button beside Disney Plus to install its latest version to your device.
For iOS users, check out the guide below to update Disney Plus:
- First, open the App Store from your home screen.
- Now, tap on your Profile on the top right corner of your display.
- Lastly, locate Disney Plus from the list and tap the Update button.
If you are using a PS4, you can update Disney Plus by doing the following:
- On your console, access the main screen and select Disney Plus from the list.
- After that, ensure that Disney Plus is highlighted and press the Options button on your controller.
- Lastly, select Check for Updates and press the O or X button on your controller.
For other systems, visit the Help Center and look for your device’s dedicated guide.
12. Reinstall Disney Plus.
If updating Disney Plus did not work, try to reinstall the app on your device. Some of its installation files may have gotten corrupted during a failed update or when the servers went down.
On Android, check out the steps below to delete Disney Plus:
- On your device, go to the app drawer and find Disney Plus.
- Now, press and hold its app icon until the options screen shows up.
- Lastly, tap on Uninstall to delete Disney Plus.
For iOS users, you can uninstall Disney Plus by doing the following:
- First, open your device and find Disney Plus on your home screen.
- After that, tap and hold its app icon to access the selection menu.
- Finally, tap on Remove App to uninstall Disney Plus.
If you are using a Playstation 4, see the steps below to remove the app:
- On your main screen, find Disney Plus and select it using your controller.
- Next, press the Options button on your controller and select Delete.
- Lastly, press the O or X button to delete Disney Plus.
Check out the other guides below if you don’t see your device above:
- Reinstall Disney Plus on Xbox One
- Remove Disney Plus on Roku Devices
- Uninstall Disney Plus on Apple TV
Reinstall the app on your device afterward and check if the ‘Something went wrong’ error on Disney Plus would still occur.
13. Report the Problem to Disney Plus.
At this point, we suggest asking the help of Disney Plus support if the error message still occurs on your device.
Go to their Help Center and contact their team from there. Give all the details about the problem, your account information, the device you use, and the movie or TV show you are trying to watch.
You can also browse their guides and see if you can find any answers.
This sums up our guide in fixing the ‘Something went wrong’ error on Disney Plus. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to help you out.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂