Trying To Fix Teams Chat Not Working Issue on Windows 11?
Microsoft Teams is a platform developed by Microsoft and is mostly used for business communication. Some of the features of Microsoft Teams include Chats, Teams, Channels, Live Events, among others. It is a section of the Microsoft 365 group of products.
However, some users have reported that after upgrading their systems to Windows 11, Microsoft Teams and its Teams Chat feature would crash a few seconds after opening. Sometimes, the app fails to open completely or the widget pane on the app would glitch.
There are many reasons why the Teams Chat may not be working. Some examples include corrupted files, poor internet connectivity, or the app and system updates may be outdated. So in this guide, we will learn How to Fix Teams Chat Not Working Issue on Windows 11.
So, let’s begin!
Restart Microsoft Teams App.
Restarting the app is the fastest and easiest method to resolve the issue. It is known to fix minor bugs and resolve glitches that hinder the app from working well.
Here is how you can restart the Teams Chat:
- First, go to the Notification Area of your taskbar and right-click on the Microsoft Teams icon.
- A menu will appear, then select Quit to stop the app from running.
- Lastly, click on the Chat icon on the taskbar to start.
Once the app has restarted, check it to see if the issue has been resolved.
Update the App.
The latest updates usually have bug fixes for problems reported by users. For Chats to work well on Windows 11, the Microsoft Teams app needs to be up to date.
Here is how you can update Teams Chat:
- Go ahead and search for Microsoft Teams from the Search function at the bottom and then click on it to open.
- After that, click on the three dots on the Title bar and click on Settings to continue.
- Next, click on About Teams on the bottom left of your Settings Window.
- Lastly, a window should open on your screen. Now, check under Version, to confirm if your app is up to date.
If it shows No updates, then it means that your app is up to date. If it’s not, update it to the latest version.
Delete the App’s Cache.
Cache in a computer or app is a component that helps in storing data. This means that future requests for certain data will show up faster because the data will be accessed from the cache and not from the web.
However, cached data can easily fill up your storage and you may end up using data that is not up to date. Therefore, there is a need to delete your Teams app cache from time to time to increase its performance.
Here is how you can delete the Teams app cache:
- Begin by opening the File Explorer by pressing Windows + E.
- A window should open. Paste the path below on the Navigation bar and hit Enter.
- Delete the content in these folders:
‘blob_storage’, ‘Cache’, ‘databases’, ‘GPUCache’, ‘LocalStorage’, and ‘tmp’.
Once you are done with that, check if your Teams Chat issue has been resolved.
Check For Windows Update.
If you have restarted the Teams app and confirmed that it’s up to date, yet Chat is still not working, then it’s time to check if you have the latest update for Windows.
Windows 11 has constant updates and it is crucial to install them as these updates often come with fixes to bugs and corrupt files.
Here is how you can check for Windows Update:
- Go ahead and press Windows + i to start the Settings app.
- A window should open. Next, on the left pane at the bottom, select Windows Update.
- Finally, click on Check for updates.
The system will scan, download and install any pending updates. You will then be required to restart your computer. After the restart, check if the chat not working issue has been resolved.
Repair and Reset Microsoft Teams.
Repairing an app involves checking and replacing files that are corrupt and need to be fixed. To reset an app or program means removing any pending events and returning it to its default state.
We can repair and reset Teams Chat to try and fix issues causing the app not to work.
Here is how you can repair and reset the app:
- First, press Windows + i to start the Settings app.
- Then, select Apps from the left pane and then select Apps and Features.
- Now, scroll down to Microsoft Teams and click on the three dots.
- Next, click Advanced options.
- After that, scroll down to the Reset area and click Repair.
- The system will try to repair the app. Once that is done, check the app to see if it’s working well. If not, click on the Reset button to delete the app data, together with the corrupt files.
After selecting reset, check the app to see if it now works well. You will also be required to log in to the app to continue.
Run the Windows App Troubleshooter.
The app troubleshooter is a program that attempts to resolve app problems. In other words, it fixes bugs and gives solutions when an app is not working.
You can use the app troubleshooter to clear temporary files that may be preventing the chat from working well.
Here is how you can run the Windows App troubleshooter:
- First, open the Settings app by pressing Windows + i.
- Now select System from the left pane. Then, scroll and click Troubleshoot on the right.
- After that, click on Other troubleshooters.
- Lastly, scroll down to Windows Store Apps then click Run.
Once the troubleshooter has finished running, check the Teams Chat to see if the issue has been resolved.
Disable and Enable Graphics Driver.
Users have reported that restarting the graphics driver solved the Teams Chat not working issue on Windows 11.
Here is how you can disable then enable the graphics driver:
- Go ahead and right-click on the Windows icon at the bottom of the screen. A menu should pop up. Click on Device Manager.
- A window will open. Now, click on Display adapters.
- Next, from the list displayed, right-click on the driver and then click Disable device.
- Lastly, right-click on the same driver again then click Enable device.
Do this for all the graphics drivers installed. When you are done with all of that, check if the issue has been resolved.
Uninstall and Reinstall Teams App.
If all the methods above have failed, try uninstalling the app then reinstalling it. To uninstall the app means removing the app from the system. It also clears the corrupt files and bugs associated with the app.
Once you are done with that, you can reinstall the app anew.
Here are the steps to follow to uninstall and reinstall Teams Chat app:
- Begin by pressing Windows + i to start the Settings app.
- Next, select Apps from the left pane and then select Apps and Features.
- Now, scroll down to Microsoft Teams and click on the three dots.
- Then, click Uninstall. The app will then be removed from the system.
- To reinstall, download the Microsoft Teams app from the official website.
- Next, click on Download for Windows 11.
Once downloading is complete, double-click on it to reinstall the app.
You can also access and log in to the Teams Chat via the browser as an alternative to the app.
We have come to the end of our guide on How to Fix Teams Chat Not Working Issue on Windows 11. If you have any questions or suggestions, let us know in the comment section below.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂