Facing the Unable to load video or photo error on iPhone and don’t know how to fix it?
Among the main reasons why people prefer iPhones is due to their great photo/video editing options. However, if you’re unable to do that for some reason, it can get quite frustrating. Many users have come forward with the issue of their iPhones being unable to load photos or videos, which stops them from viewing and sharing.
An outdated iOS version, insufficient device storage, internal issues, or an unstable internet connection can be the primary causes of your iPhone’s inability to load specific photos or videos.
To help you know how to fix the Unable to load video or photo error on iPhone, we have gathered some of the most effective methods. Before diving into the solutions, we recommend you identify the main problem first.
So, let’s get started!
1. Wait It Out.
When you edit a photo or a video on your iPhone, it will take some time to render and be exported to the CPU. Hence you need to be a bit patient. If you try to open or view the content while it’s still in process, you’ll get the Unable to load video or photo error on iPhone.
2. Disable Low Power Mode.
You might be one of the iPhone users that turn on Low Power mode to save battery. However, this also affects your device performance and data usage. The Low Power mode limits the background activity to prevent fast drainage of the battery.
That means if your edited photo or video is being rendered in the background, the mode will block its function. So, it is recommended to disable Low Power mode whenever you face the said error.
Here’s how to do it:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Then, scroll down until you locate Battery.
- Switch off the toggle next to Low Power Mode to disable it.
3. Force Reboot Your Device.
If you’re getting the Unable to load video or photo error on iPhone due to a system bug or glitch, it’s best to force reboot your device immediately. This will delete all temporary cache from your iPhone, subsequently eliminating the potential culprit. Since the steps to force restart differs for different iPhone models, follow the specified instructions for each.
For iPhone 6s or lower models:
- Press and hold down the Power button and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo appear on your iPhone’s screen.
For iPhone 7:
- Press and hold down the Power button and the Volume down button at the same time until the apple logo is being displayed on the screen.
For iPhone 8 and higher models:
- First, press the Volume up button and release it.
- Then, press the Volume down button and release it.
- Next, press and hold down the Side button and release it when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.
4. Add the Video or Photo to Favorites Then Remove It.
This is one of the tricks that work for most users facing the Unable to load video or photo error on iPhone. The reason behind its effectiveness is still a mystery, but we’d rather focus on the positive side of it.
Below are the steps you’ll need to follow:
- Launch the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Locate the video or photo that your iPhone can’t load.
- Tap and hold the photo and choose Favorite.
- After some time, tap and hold the photo again and select Unfavorite.
Now, tap the video or photo to see if it loads.
5. Delete and Recover the Photo or Video.
If you cannot view a specific picture or a video, an incomplete or broken render might be a reason behind it. To fix this, try deleting the media and then recovering it.
To do so, follow the steps below:
- First, tap open the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Select the particular photo or video that you wish to delete and recover.
- Tap on the photo or video and choose the Delete option.
- Next, choose the Albums tab and go to Recently Deleted.
- After choosing the photo or video, you want to recover, tap on the Recover option.
6. Relaunch the Photos App.
The Photos application can sometimes become unresponsive or get attacked by unknown bugs. These are usually temporary and can only be removed from the system by force closing the app and relaunching it.
Here’s how to do it:
- Swipe up from the middle of the screen to open the App Launcher.
- Look for the Photos app preview by swiping left or right.
- Then, swipe up from the Photos app preview to force close the app.
- To reopen it, tap on the Photos app on the home screen.
7. Check Your iPhone and iCloud Storage.
Depending on your needs, iPhones come in varying storage options for you. But even after wisely selecting the best option for yourself, you might end up running out of storage. This usually occurs when you’re not an iCloud+ user.
When the storage gets full, its performance will be greatly affected. Many applications may start to lag or even fail to function entirely. You may also encounter multiple issues, including the Unable to load video or photo error on iPhone.
To check your storage, follow these simple steps:
- First, select the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Then, scroll down and locate the General tab, and tap on it.
- Next, go to iPhone Storage to find your device storage information.
- If your iPhone’s running low on storage, clean up some space and see if the issue is fixed.
8. Enable Network Access.
If you prefer syncing your media to iCloud so that it’s accessible from all devices, you need to ensure you’re also granting the application network access. Without this required permission, your data will not be uploaded to iCloud, resulting in the Unable to load media error.
Here’s how to enable network access for Photos on iPhone:
- Start by opening the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Find Cellular and tap on it.
- Then, scroll down, locate Photos, and ensure the toggle next to it is switched on.
9. Disable Data Saver.
iPhone also offers a data saver mode which limits your data usage. While it is advantageous for those that want low bills, the feature will impact your experience and even block certain functions like syncing media files to your iCloud account. This will further result in the Unable to load media error.
For this reason, we recommend you keep the feature disabled by following the steps below:
- First, open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Go to the Cellular option.
- Then, select Cellular Data Options.
- Turn on the toggle next to Low Data Mode and see if the issue is solved.
10. Deactivate Storage Optimization for Photos.
Another iPhone feature is storage optimization, which directly transfers your photos and videos to iCloud. That way, you can capture as many pictures as you’d like without worrying about your device storage. However, it has reportedly caused several issues for many. In that case, it is advisable to disable it and see if that fixes the issue.
Follow the steps below to do it:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Then, go to Photos and uncheck Optimize iPhone Storage.
11. Re-Login to Apple ID.
Apart from glitches in the Photos app, some temporary bugs can also find their way into your iCloud account. This will prevent you from accessing certain photos or videos on your device. A simple fix for this is to log out and back into your Apple ID account.
Here’s what you need to do :
- Launch the Settings app on the device.
- Go to your Apple ID account present at the top of the screen.
- At the very bottom, tap on Sign Out and follow the on-screen instructions to log out of your account.
- Then, tap on Apple ID again to log back into your account.
This completes our guide on how to fix the Unable to load video or photo error on iPhone. We hope you’ve been successful in getting rid of the issue. However, in the worst cases, contact Apple Support to seek professional help.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 😊