Is your old Apple device still showing on Find My?
The Find My is a helpful feature for Apple users to help keep track of their devices and items.
Although it uses Apple’s advanced technology, you might still encounter issues while using it.
Recently, Apple users are complaining about their old devices showing up on Find My even after removing them from iCloud and Apple ID.
This can clutter up the Find My interface, making it difficult to track active devices.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to remove your old Apple device if it’s still showing on Find My.
1. Remove Old Device from iCloud’s Website.
Accessing your iCloud from the official website is one of the easiest ways to remove an old Apple device from Find My.
This should remove the old device directly from your account, permanently removing it from your other devices.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to iCloud’s login page using any browser.
- Provide your credentials to sign in to your account.
- On the main page, scroll down and look for Find My.
- Click on it to open the Find Devices page.
- At the center, click on the Down Arrow icon to view your devices.
- Click on the device you want to remove.
- Select the Remove from Account option.
- Follow the prompts to continue.
Wait at least an hour for the data on your devices to sync. Now, open the Find My app on your Apple device to check if your old devices will still show up.
2. Use Your iPhone to Remove Old Devices.
If you own an iPhone, you can use it to remove old and inactive devices from your Apple ID and Find My.
However, this will only work if your old device is still showing up from your iPhone’s settings.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Now, tap on your name in the uppermost part of settings.
- Scroll down and look for the old device you want to remove.
- Tap on it to access its settings.
- Lastly, select Remove from Account and follow the prompts.
Restart all your devices afterward and see if your old device is gone from Find My’s interface.
3. Remove Old Device Using Mac.
If you don’t have an iPhone or your old device is not showing up on it, you can also remove your old device on your Mac.
To do this, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen to open Apple Menu.
- After that, click on System Settings.
- Now, click on your name on the side menu.
- Find the device you want to remove and click on it.
- Click Remove from Account and follow the instructions.
Once done, restart your devices to refresh your information. Go to Find My to check if your old device has been removed.
4. Remove Old Device Using Apple ID.
This method lets youn remove your old Apple device using any browser and device.
This is similar to the first method but will also remove your old device from all Apple-related services.
See the steps below to guide you through the process:
- Access Apple ID’s login page using any browser.
- Provide your credentials to access your account.
- Now, click on Devices in the side menu.
- Look for the device you want to remove and click on it.
- Click on Remove from Account and follow the prompts.
Check all your Apple devices afterward to see if the changes have been reflected.
5. Remove Device from Find My App.
If you still have your old device, you can remove it from Find My using the dedicated app for macOS and iOS.
Make sure that you do this on your old device first:
- For iPhones, iPads, Mac, Apple Watch: turn off the device.
- AirPods: put the AirPods back in their case and close the lid.
- Beats Headphones: turn off the headphones.
After ensuring that your device is not active, here’s what you need to do:
- On your active device, open the Find My app.
- Tap on the Devices tab in the bottom navigation bar.
- Next, tap on the name of the offline device.
- Choose Remove This Device, then tap Remove.
Check with your other devices to confirm if this method worked.
6. Update Your Active Device.
If your old Apple device is still showing on Find My, we recommend updating the device where you see it.
This should ensure that you have the most stable version of iOS with no bugs and errors.
To update your iPad or iPhone, follow the guide below:
- Launch Settings on your device.
- Now, tap on General > Software Update.
- If there’s an available update, tap on Download and Install.
- Your device can restart several times while installing the update.
- Make sure that your device has at least 50% battery before installing updates. It’s best to keep your device plugged into the wall charger to avoid interruptions.
- Allow at least 15 minutes for the update to install, especially if it’s a major update (iOS 14 to iOS 15).
For Mac users, see the steps below to update your device:
- First, open the Apple Menu in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Go to System Settings.
- Navigate to General > Software Update.
- If a new version is available, click on Update Now or Upgrade Now.
- Your Mac can restart several times while installing the update.
- The update progress bar might also appear to be stuck. When this happens, don’t do anything. Software updates can take several minutes to complete.
Go back to the Find My app to check if the problem is solved.
That’s all you need to know about removing an old Apple device that is still showing on the Find My app.
If you have questions, suggestions, or other concerns, please leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.