Are you having trouble with a theme not syncing properly on Windows?
Microsoft provides all its Windows users to utilize themes that change their user interface to what interests them the most. Generally, themes consist of icons, mouse pointers, desktop backgrounds, etc., which are both free and paid. For consistency, many prefer using a constant theme across all their devices.
Unfortunately, numerous people have reported the issue of the theme not syncing properly on Windows. This issue is mostly traced back to not having theme syncing enabled, the Microsoft account not being verified, incorrect account information, or simply a system glitch.
Whatever the cause, we have all the effective solutions for the stated problem. If you carefully follow through, you’ll be able to fix it yourself in no time.
So without further ado, let’s get started!
1. Check If Your Theme Is Corrupted.
For many users, the problem of the theme not syncing properly on Windows was occurring due to the incompatibility of the theme with the system, or it was corrupted. To check if that’s the case, you can try using another theme and see if that works.
Here’s how to do it:
- Right-click on the desktop to access the context menu.
- Next, click on Personalize.
- Select a theme that you want to use from the Select a theme to apply section.
When it’s verified that the problem is in the theme and not your computer, either try reinstalling it or using another theme that works.
2. Restart SettingsSyncHost.exe Service.
The SettingSyncHost.exe service is responsible for syncing your system settings across all the devices running on the same Microsoft account. If there’s no problem with the theme, the specified Microsoft service might be encountering an issue.
To fix this issue, you can try restarting it by following the steps below:
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Win + R keys.
- Type in ‘taskmgr’ in the search bar and click on OK to launch Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab.
- Look for Host Process for Settings Synchronization.
- Now, right-click on it and select End task from the content menu or click on the End task button at the bottom right corner of the window.
- Lastly, reboot your PC and check if the theme not syncing properly on Windows issue is resolved or not.
3. Restart the Syncing Feature.
For the theme to sync properly on all your Windows systems, you must have its dedicated feature enabled from Settings. It only makes sense for Windows to remember your preferences if the theme syncing option is turned on.
If you remember enabling the syncing feature earlier, you might have unconsciously turned it off, or the feature may have been a target of an unknown glitch. In that case, turning it off and back on would hopefully resolve the issue.
Follow the steps below to do so:
- Navigate to Settings by pressing Win + i keys from your keyboard.
- Go to Accounts from the left pane.
- Once on Accounts, click on Windows backup.
- Turn the toggle off for Remember my preferences. Wait a few moments, then switch it back on.
4. Re-Login to Your Microsoft Account.
Microsoft demands account verification to provide users with all its features. While this may sound obvious, there isn’t any harm in double-checking that the account you’re logged in with is verified.
If it is, and you’re still encountering the issue of the theme not syncing properly on Windows, you might want to restart your login session in case any bug has found its way into your account.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings by pressing Win + i keys.
- From the left pane, select Accounts.
- Now, click on Email & accounts from the right side of the screen.
- Look for Work or school account and click on Manage next to it.
- From the new window that opens, choose Sign out everywhere and click on OK.
- Lastly, reboot your computer to check if the issue is still occurring. If it is, move to the next method mentioned in this guide.
5. Use Registry Editor to Enable Syncing.
If you’re having trouble turning on the theme syncing feature due to some unknown error, you can force-enable it via Registry Editor, which requires administrative privileges. But before following this method, we recommend you Create Backup and Restore Registry on Windows, as any false entry may corrupt your entire system, rendering it inoperable.
After that, follow the steps below to enable syncing:
- Press the Win and R keys simultaneously to open the Run dialog.
- Enter ‘regedit’ in the search bar and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys to open Registry with administrative privileges.
- Now, go to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ SOFTWARE/ Microsoft/ Windows/ CurrentVersion/ Policies/ System
- Select an empty space and right-click on it.
- Click on New, then DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- From the prompt that opens, type in NoConnectedUser under the Value name.
- In the Value data box, type in ‘0’.
- Finally, click on OK and reboot your computer to save these changes.
6. Run SFC Scan.
You might already know that several types of errors occur if your system corrupts or gets damaged. But fortunately, Windows has built-in scans that diagnose such issues and repair them if necessary. These include DISM commands and SFC scans.
To perform an SFC scan on your computer, follow these simple steps:
- Click on the Start menu and type ‘cmd’ in the search bar.
- Select Command Prompt from the search results.
- From the screen’s right side, choose Run as administrator to open it.
- Now, enter the following command to run an SFC scan:
- Wait for the process to finish, then restart your PC.
7. Update Windows.
Outdated Windows can also cause the theme not to sync properly. If you suspect that to be the reason, simply update your Windows to the latest available version and check if that resolves the issue.
Below are the steps you need to follow:
- Press the Win + i keys to open Settings.
- Select Windows Updates from the left sidebar.
- Now, click on Check for updates.
- If there’s a pending update, click on Download and Install.
- Once the update is installed, reboot your computer and see if the issue is fixed or not.
This sums up our guide on how to fix the theme not syncing properly on Windows. If you have further queries or confusion, utilize the comments section below. We will try our best to assist you further.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 😊